Military reenlistment?

My husband is in the Navy, November will be 5 years active sea duty and he was told upon reenlistment he might be able to get shore duty orders, however they couldn't guarentee this. For us that was okay so my husband went to reenlist and was declined to reenlist. I'm not sure how this can happen or what exactly this means but I am out seeking answers. He was told that the Navy is downsizing and all first term sailors (which includes anyone who has been enlisted for 6 months to 6 years) would more than likely be declined reenlistment. I'm very upset, especially not understanding what this means and this further upsets me to know that people are still becoming enlisted if the Navy when they say it's so over crowded. It just doesn't make any sense to me why the Navy would choose to pay more money to train new people then to just approve reenlistments when they have already invested so much time and money in these men and women. I feel very lost and am scared to see where our future is now headed with a wife in school full time and a husband soon to be out of the military. Please if you know of any options or anything that could help please let me know. My husband is currently deployed overseas and he is unable to email me and tell me every detail about what happened. Thanks.

pepperbee

Asked by pepperbee at 5:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• We are in the same boat. My husband is deployed and as well in the Navy. He was declined to re-enlist was given the very same reason. The Navy is down sizing. The only thing I know is that you do keep tricare 6 months after he is discharged. But the pay check stops the very day of the discharge. My hubby is out in April. He's using the GI bill to go to school and get BAH. I have to find a job or we have to move in with his mother ( help me!) With this tax return save it till he gets out and use it till he can find a job.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I am so stressed out about this and Im mad too! That whole... "No man left behind" crap is just that crap! I can't believe that they are getting rid of such hard workers instead of just turning down new people trying to enlist. I don't know what to do... we have way to many bills and can't live with family or anything. I actually didn't know about the tricare and the pay check and that just freaks me out even more :(
    pepperbee

Comment by pepperbee (original poster) at 5:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It pisses me off too and isn't fair. They are getting rid of good men.
    Have you heard of the Blue to Green program? He can go from Navy to Army after his enlistment date and he will keep his rank.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I just found that out today but I doubt he will go for it... with the Navy he could be around a lot more because his ship was in RCOH for the first 4 years he was in the Navy... I don't know a thing about the army and I don't even know if he will go for it. What ship is your husband on... mines the Vinson. Did your husband have any PRT or weight problems? I asked this on multiple websites and I'm getting a ton of people asking me if he had PRT or weight problems and that could be a major factor... my husband just made rank and he can't even enjoy it :(

There has to be more options I am freaking out. If I would of known this at the beginning of last year I would of really cracked down hard to pay bills and I wouldn't have enrolled in college full time... now were going to be just in the worst position!
    pepperbee

Comment by pepperbee (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• They won't let him cross-rate? That's crazy!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 6:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I actually don't know if they will let him cross rate or not... someone had told me that you get back different things, declined, option to reenlist but cross rate, etc and he just said he was declined. All I know is I'm freaking out I feel like I have to time to get things organized and it doesn't help with him currently deployed... he's just starting his day and its almost 4pm for me! I don't even know any other rates really, or ones that are low and needing people?
    pepperbee

Comment by pepperbee (original poster) at 6:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Maybe he can PTS (Perform to Serve). A lot of first timers who could potentially face having their enlistment declined go PTS. I work at an A school and I see a lot of PTSers. Look into it and see if his naval career (evals, PFA, etc) allows that. There has to be a way to keep him in! Don't give up!
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Thank you I really appreciate that and the help! I don't even know what PTS is all about, do they always have to do this before reenlisting or is this what they can do after they are declined? Sorry for all the questions I'm really just so stressed out about this... I know I have until November but that's really not giving me time to make sure everything is perfectly set at least for my comfort... thank you so much... this is something I needed to hear all day... some hope!
    pepperbee

Comment by pepperbee (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• UPDATE:

His PTS was approved for re-enlistment... finally a breath of fresh air!
    Thanks for all the advice and support!
    pepperbee

Comment by pepperbee (original poster) at 3:07 PM on Apr. 2, 2011