I need to stop kissing my son's cheeks so much. But it's hard he is my baby.

My husband has been in Afghanistan for the a year. And it is almost time for him to come home. So the other day he says I hope you haven't been baby"ing Dj (our son). And of course I was like no because I feel like I am just being mom. But he is my baby and I do kiss his cheeks like 15 times a day. My yougest daughter is the same way. She loves to kiss my cheeks. But my husbad says its different with boys. So I told my son , "you are my youngest and so u were my last baby. And sometimes mommy tries to hold on to that. But you are about to be 7 in less than 2 weeks so I need to stop kissing you so much. And I know with Dad gone you guys have been a little attached to me more. So lets try and adjust now so when Dad comes home he doesn't think I baby you." And he says "well when he goes to the bathroom I am gonna run and kiss you." LOL. I know I have to back down on my motherly love so my husband won't have to be the bad guy. Any suggestions from mothers who have been in my shoes? Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Well I am a little surprised because I thought I was doing something wrong. I come from a home with all girls but my family was very affectionate, so its in my nature. So I guess I am gonna have to talk to the hubby and let him know the kisses will not stop. He is a good guy but this is our only son. And he was raised in a home where there wasn't as much affection. But after hearing everyones replies I see that my way is not wrong. And we will be discussing this so he uderstands the kisses will not stop. So thanks everyone. I don't think I could stop kissing either one of my babies. :-)

True_Gator_77

Asked by True_Gator_77 at 5:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• You KEEP kissing him until HE ask you to stop. You aren't babying him, you are LOVING him. Good for you!!!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'm sorry but your husband is an idiot. There is nothing wrong with kissing your kids whether they are boy or a girl. They need to be shown affection.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 5:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Um I will never stop kissing on my son.. EVER, who cares that he is a boy / or if I had a girl... I wouldn't let the gender determine how affectionate I am towards my child.
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Nonsense! Kisses never hurt anyone! Tell your husband he won't get any fewer kisses just because your son gets bunches!
    misses_nick

Answer by misses_nick at 5:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I agree with mommy!!! It doesn't even matter how old they get, I kiss mine 24/7!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Answer by older at 5:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Sorry, but that is just dumb. Kiss him as much and often as you want. He is your baby and it doesn't mean you are "babying" him. It won't make you son any less of a man... it will probably make him a BETTER man. And if you DH says anything about it tell him to shove it!

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 5:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My boys are ages 19, 21 & 28....I still kiss them whenever they can. None of them are "momma's boys". They love their mom, but they are strong independent young men. They all have minds of their own, good jobs, and make their own decisions about their lives. I don't see a problem with kissing your 7 year old. There will come a time when he tells you mom, "not in front of my friends", and you should respect that, but then they will start kissing you goodbye, and hello.....even big tough guys kiss their moms.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 5:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Our boys are 14, 7, and 8, and I get , and give kisses ALL the time! That's just plain ignorance for him to say you shouldn't because he's a boy. I think I would hold off on the kisses from him until he can wise up and realize that affection is a GOOD thing. Doesn't he want your son to grow up well rounded, and feel loved, and free to want to give affection? Sorry, that's just STUPID!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Bet ya didn't think you would get this kind of reaction huh? LOL Don't take it personally Momma, we're on your side.
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 5:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Awwww...I'm sorry but I wouldn't tell my son that ever! I have a 5 year old and a 3 year old and they get tons of kisses! I don't care what anyone thinks or says! You are not "babying" him IMO. You keep kissin those sweet little cheeks Momma! Best of luck with your hubby...I'm sure he'll need to adjust to being home, but stand your ground with him!
    MommyH2

Answer by MommyH2 at 5:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2011