What am I doing wrong?

I take a vitamin supplement daily. I eat 90% organic foods, cook everything myself, go out to eat maybe2x a month. I don't smoke, do drugs, and only have 1 cup of coffee a day + 2 green teas. I eat protein at least once a day and I have a "snack" like ice cream once every two weeks.

I go to the gym 3x a week for two hours and basically do 1 hr on the bike, 1/2 hr on the treadmill and 1/2 hr on the weights. I also walk a lot (large dog) & run around with an active 2 yr old.
I am hungry all of the time. I'm craving spinach and red meat right now.
I try to sleep, but can't do more than 3 or 4 hours a night without some herbal (sleepytime) teas. I'm always yawning.
I have gained 20 lbs in the last 5 months since I cut my calorie intake, started eating smaller meals and joined the gym.
What am I doing wrong?

elizabooks

Asked by elizabooks at 5:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• What you are doing wrong is not getting enough sleep! Your body needs this to process everything else.

Answer by older at 5:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• How many calories are taking in? You may not be eating enough.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• There is a lot going on here. If you are being completely honest then you should go to a doctor. Sleep is a major factor in weight loss and your body might be conserving calories if you are not consuming enough. Try logging your calories burned and consumed (TRACK EVERYTHING) on www.livestrong.com (the daily plate). That's what worked for me, I lost 70 lbs in a year. If it doesn't work for you then you can print out a summary of what you've been doing and take it to your doctor. It's free and it could help you figure out what's going on. Good luck, it's a lot of work but it's very worth it!

- someone who lost a substantial amount of weight and is a medical assistant.

ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 5:53 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Sounds like stress to me. Also, don't forget that genetics play a part in one's body shape/size, so don't beat yourself up about things you cannot change. Judging by everything you're doing, it sounds like you're in great shape and good health. Sometimes we misinterpret how we really look, too. i think it's called body dysmorphia. When you look in the mirror, you might be exaggerating your size or areas of your body. Talk to your doctor about the sleep issue. I read that lack of sleep can lead to weight gain or hinder weight loss. Also, muscle weighs more than fat. Hope this helps!
    beshka76

Answer by beshka76 at 5:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Just to clarify, muscle does not weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound is a pound. Muscle is more dense than fat and therefore takes up less space. So although the numbers on the scale are not going down, you could be decreasing fat and increasing muscle mass.
    BridgetC140

Answer by BridgetC140 at 5:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My clothes are getting tighter. I've dropped a few inches on my hips, but my stomach & thighs are getting bigger.
    1,310 is what is recommended. I think I'm getting 1300. Sort of hard to count. I can't find accurate lists for dragon fruit, leeks, and other things. especially when you use 1/2 of a leek for a meal that is split between three people.
    And I know I need more sleep. I just cannot sleep. and while the teas make me sleep, I don't get enough REM sleep.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 6:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If you're craving spinach and red meat you're probably low in iron. Take an iron supplement for at least a couple of weeks. Many teas actually have more caffeine in them than coffee which might be keeping you up at night. A trick that I've learned, Drink All Day Long, water, milk, and 100% juice with little to no add sugar and you won't feel hungry.
    BUTTERCUP777

Answer by BUTTERCUP777 at 6:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Stress? Maybe. I'm 5-1. 192 lbs and I'm trying to get to 150. I'm a size 14-18 depending on the cut and style and a natural 46DD (since age 16) with a pear shaped body.
    My doctor hounds me about my weight even though he is over weight.
    I know I look fat. A woman today asked me if I was pregnant when I was running errands.
    I have had an upper and lower GI done with clear results and my thyroid has been tested many times with different results each time.
    Am I targeting the wrong areas?
    I just want to trim down the stomach and thighs.

Mind you I've cheated today and had a nut & granola bar and a cup of black tea along with my oatmeal and I couldn't drag the dog out for his walk due to the cold weather. I just feel so bad and my joints are hurting.
    elizabooks

Comment by elizabooks (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Talk to our doctor about having your thyroid checked. Not saying it IS your thyroid but it could be.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 7:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If you drop too low in calories, your metabolism goes into starvation mode and stores the food energy as fats. As busy as you are, I suspect your calorie intake is WAY too low and that's what's happened. Did you calculate this based on your basal metabolic rate and factor your activity level in? Ideally, you shouldn't go more than 500 calories a day BELOW what you need to maintain weight based on BSR/activity. (I weigh 167 and am less active and my range is 1400-1800 a day to lose weight.)

Also, are you active right up to bedtime? That may be throwing off your ability to sleep. When do you cut off the caffeine for the day?
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 7:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011