Is this teacher being a bully or is it just funny?

My son is in sixth grade and for the second time in two weeks he has told me something that the teacher said that made cringe.
The first thing... they were talking about babysitting and one of the boys said he wanted to take a babysitting class. The teacher said "WHAT?!?!? Who would trust you to watch their kid? NOT ME!" And then he laughed.
Then today the teacher pulled up a picture of a lol cat covered with butter and said to the class. " I saw this and thought of you Meagan and had to show it to the class."

I just think both of those things are out of line and not funny. Kids that age have fragile egos and I think he is just being a jerk.

Am I wrong to think that?

Funny and harmless or mean and rude?

Please do not move this post to a different section, I posted here for a reason.

SleepingBeautee

Asked by SleepingBeautee at 5:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Well, how did the kids take it... Since I didn't hear the intonations it's hard for me to judge. In one way it sounds awful but in another it seem like harmless teasing. KWIM?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i don't know that i'd call it bullying (catch-phrase of the day), but i do think he's in the wrong line of work.
    have you talked to other parents..do their kids complain, too? or is your kid super-sensitive? (no offense, please, just asking)
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I know... I wasn't there either, but I still think it was probably embarrassing for the child involved. I know at that age I would have been mortified.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 6:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I had a nasty teacher in middle school, I can still remember how he offended me personally. Even if he is just looking for an edge or to be relate-able to the kids by teasing them... I don't really think it's a great idea. He probably doesn't mean any harm, but I have to assume he's causing some.
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 6:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• What did your child say about it?
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think it's funny. I bet the kids love him.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My child thought it was funny, but he wasn't the one the teacher said it about either.

Maybe I am to sensitive. I just know that when I was a kid I would have died of embarrassment.
    SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 6:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Hopefully if the children involved were bothered they will tell someone. The fist one sounded harmless but the second one I can't decide on...
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• This is the pic he posted....

http://lolcat.com/pics/kittenbutter.jpg

SleepingBeautee

Comment by SleepingBeautee (original poster) at 6:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I wonder if the pic was in reference to something she said or wrote or shared with the class and not a personal attack... I hope so anyway.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011