do you believe in pull-ups, or do think they're a waste of money?

i used them with my oldest when we potty trained, and i thought they were awesome. but now im in the beginning stages of teaching my 2 year old, and i dont find them so awesome. i think it's better (for her anyway) that she just wears panties, because she can actually feel when she's wet or dirty and come to me. my oldest was a little different (and i hate to admit, a bit "smarter" than my middle child, and knew when to go potty, my middle always tells me after the fact) so i think its a better learning process this way because in a pull-up, it feels like a diaper and she won't know. in panties, if she does anything she'll come and say "i potty" after the fact, but it's a step in the right direction. so how do you feel about pullups?

tnm786

Asked by tnm786 at 5:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Yep a glorified diaper...but i did use them at night with the kids when I did not use diapers as they got older
    rebeccadac

Answer by rebeccadac at 6:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think they are a waste and didn't use them for my older two kids, but I did for a while with my youngest.. He just kept peeing in them. As soon as we stopped buying them, he finished potty training.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Glorified diapers. they are good for ego boosters at night once potty training is acomplished though. (night time panties)
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think they are a huge waste of money. I used them for my son at night for a little while so that he could take them on and off like his undies during the day.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 6:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I DO NOT use them - I think they confuse kids and make parents lazy. We go cold turkey here - the day we stop with diapers and get to business potty training is a day that we never go back to diapers.

The ONLY exception at our house is that we do still use either a diaper or pullup at night until that comes since for most kids take a little longer.
    AAAMama

Answer by AAAMama at 6:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I only used pull-ups at night. I think daytime use of them would be a waste for sure.
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 6:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I only used them on my son at night.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 6:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think they're a waste of money. Of course, I think all disposable clothing is a waste of money--whether it's jackets, diapers or pullups.

In my opinion, the purpose of diapers is to minimize the laundry --and the need to clean upholstery and mattresses. 'Accidents' don't do that... so children (and adults) who are not capable of routinely and reliably use the toilet get to wear diapers until (and unless) they do.

Of course, in my life there is no 'shame' in being physically immature, or even incapable of using a toilet. Just as there is no 'shame' involved in being 2 or paralyzed.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 6:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

What?

In my opinion, the purpose of diapers is to minimize the laundry --and the need to clean upholstery and mattresses. 'Accidents' don't do that... so children (and adults) who are not capable of routinely and reliably use the toilet get to wear diapers until (and unless) they do. Of course, in my life there is no 'shame' in being physically immature, or even incapable of using a toilet. Just as there is no 'shame' involved in being 2 or paralyzed.

I was pretty sure we were talking baout toddler potty training not physical or mentally disadvantaged people.

Anonymous

• they were used for going out on the town. Otherwise, it was cloth training underwear.
    brieri

Answer by brieri at 7:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011