Is your child on a schedule? Do you think a child needs a schedule? If yes why, if no why not?

keyaziz

Asked by keyaziz at 11:37 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• I'm pretty flexible, but we do have a basic schedule. I find that he wants the schedule. People are creatures of habit, even little kids. Having a predictable routine gives a child a sense of security and control. He knows when it's meal time, snack time, nap time, bed time, and play time. And if I am late with something for some reason, he lets me know.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• We have a basic routine. Its not super structured though. I think they need routine but you also have to be willing to be flexiable because somethings are just out of your control.
    lovemybabys1106

Answer by lovemybabys1106 at 12:41 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My child is in day care, so has a set schedule. I try to keep to it at home too, at lest for meals and naps. It's nice that she's tired at the same time each day and she knows after lunch is always nap time.
    Anonymous

• That is a double edged sword. To be a parent you have to have the ability of flexibility. However, some kind of routine is needed. Kids need structure and to know that certain things happen at certain times of the day...I think it helps them feel safe and secure.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I think scheduling if very very important in the begining years. We have been able to obviously tapper off of that since the kids are getting older.
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 1:30 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• i'm not hungry at the exact same time every day. why would i expect my child to be? i keep a loose schedule that mostly revolves around breakfast, lunch, and dinner. structure is very important, but no kid needs an itinerary for every day life.
    bestmommyeber

Answer by bestmommyeber at 1:48 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I'm a SAHM so he really doesn't need a schedule so to speak, but he is kind of got on one on his own. He gets up on his own around 6 every morning, goes down for his naps at the same time within an hour each day, eats at around the same time everyday...etc. I can see where a child would need a schedule with parents that work though.
    TheDragn01

Answer by TheDragn01 at 6:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008