UTI

Is it true that after you have one uti you get them more frequently? I just recently found out I have one and this is my first one I've had. I'm also 38 weeks pregnant and found out when I was in the hospital on Friday (trying to get my lil one to move because she's breech). Someone I work with had said something about her having one and then we started talking about and she told me that once you have one, you get them a lot after that. Is this true?

I'm taking an antibiotic the doctor prescribed me and I drink a lot, a lot, a lot of water. At least a gallon a day, lol, well it seems like anyway.

new_mommie_2b

Asked by new_mommie_2b at 6:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Health

• That's not true. You can get UTIs often if you have certain factors working against you but just because you get one doesn't mean you are more likely to get more. A bladder infection is caused from bacteria traveling up your urethra and manifesting in your bladder. Once this has happened and been cured, new bacteria has to enter your bladder in order for you to get another infection. The length of your urethra, the frequency with which urine is flushed from your body, vaginal irritation, personal hygiene, and other environmental, genetic, and physical conditions influence your likelihood to get another infection.

What your friend may have misunderstood from her doctor is that some people are more likely to get UTIs than others. She may have been getting them all along and the doctor was telling her she can expect more from here on out. Just a thought. CONGRATS on the baby!!!
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 6:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It all depends on the person. You can get a UTI from so many things. I used to get them all the time do to not peeing after sex...I learned real quick to do that, lol. I had chronic UTI's, but that doesn't happen to everyone.
    amber1330

Answer by amber1330 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011