ok so my son got sent home from school earlier with pink eye and a cold. We went to the doctor and he said that he needs to be in his room away from everyone

Which i agree, I have a 3 month old and a 2 year old. I feel so bad though making him stay in his room like he is grounded or in punishment. What are some things i can do for him so he feels more comfortable in his room without me having to come in contact with him so i dont get infected too? Then get my other kids sick and pink eye?

indysownlilbit

Asked by indysownlilbit at 6:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Don't fully quarantine him. Advise him to cover his cough, don't touch your face until after you have thoroughly washed your hands, and wash your hands A LOT. Try making him feel special by setting him up by a tv or something, let him pick out the food you will serve him and let him tell you how he feels and what he wants. You aren't going to be able to give him everything he wants but maybe by allowing him to ask for it you can give him some things and explain why the other things aren't such a good idea right now. He needs his rest and if being away from the family is unusual for him then he will want to get better fast. Good luck, it's always hard when the babies are sick!
    ashleyaction

Answer by ashleyaction at 6:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• do you have a wii or gaming system you could put in his room - i know my mom would have given me the fam tv back in the 80's when that was a big deal... pink eye is contagous but i have never heard of quarenteen for it... that is weird /is your doc extreme? as long as he doesnt touch the eye then a surface... he wont spread it... as long as he is careful i wouldnt put my son alone for just that...
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 6:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• yes but the thing is he and 2 yr old sis cant sit still and not play when together. they will touch something of the same(surface, toy etc). I know it is hard to deal with for a 6 year old and its hard to remember EVERY time not to touch something or come in contact with his eye, runny nose etc
    indysownlilbit

Comment by indysownlilbit (original poster) at 6:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• honestly its probably two late for your other children when it comes down to the cold because you typically catch a cold 7 to 10 days after exposer which means they have already been exposed to the cold and with pink eye its likely the others kids will get it even if you quarantine him. Yes he needs to be in his room resting but i dont think you need to shut him off all by himself. make sure hes washing his hands atleast let him have dinner with you guys.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• He does NOT need to be separated. Everyone has already been exposed to the pink eye. That doctor is crazy and I have never heard any doctor telling a parent to quarantine a child with pink eye and a cold. He is old enough to know that if he touches his eye to wash his hands. Spray down all surfaces wth Lysol. I would find a different doctor. Trust me, I know pink eye..I had it 5 times in 6 months from being exposed to it at a day care. My son has had it ONCE and he is 14 and spent 5 years in day care.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Awe, poor guy. Full quarantine seems a bit drastic, but my friend's eye is currently swollen shut from pink eye she contracted from her son.
    Coloring books and crayons, video game system? Computer games? Deck of cards? you dont say how old he is, so I dont really know.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i would not quarantine! my dd was born at home and her 7 yo brother had pink eye the day she was born! the other 3 kids eventually got it...some worse than others. the baby never got it. i did request that the kids wash their hands before holding the baby though.
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• if you are breastfeeding...your milk has both anti viral and anti bacterial properties, so you can put milk in the eyes : )
    happy2bmom25

Answer by happy2bmom25 at 5:45 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• the boy is 6
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:25 PM on Jan. 28, 2011

• how is he now btw?
    san78

Answer by san78 at 5:26 PM on Jan. 28, 2011