34C? 36B?? 32D??

Ok I love the Victorias Secret semi annual sale!!!!!!! Now Everytime I go I get measured and everytime I go I get measured at a 34C!!! Everytime I'll tell them the 36B is a better fit. Yesterday I wanted a strapless bra and they didnt have the color I wanted in 34C, the sales girl, tells me try the sister size I am assuming its a 36B, I try it on good fit, I get home and I realize its a 32D???!!!! Whats the deal why am I told that I am a 34C?? When a 36B and 32D both have a better fit??? Anyone else have this problem with Vickies or any other bra manufacturer??-Jamie

jimmerJamie

Asked by jimmerJamie at 6:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Yes, but I can't remember what they told me the difference was. Say a 36D person can also wear a 38C.. I know there is a slight difference, but not much. If I can think of why, I'll get back with you. Hopefully someone else can answer it for us...
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 6:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I've found that the cup and strap size very from bra style to bra style, and manufacturer to manufacturer. a C cup will be different in a 32, 34, 0r 36, which to me only makes so much sense. I have a terrible time finding a bra that really fits.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It's called sister sizing. Every time you go up a band size you go down a cup size. 32D/34C/36B all have the same size wire in the cup, sometimes the same size cup, sometimes the manufacturer will make slight differences in the cup.

There is no industry standard for garment manufacturers. So you might be a 32D in one brand and a 36B in another. Measuring is just a 'jump off' point. It gives you a place to start. It's more important to know how a properly fit bra looks and feels than to worry about sizing because it can vary widly.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 6:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• *wildly*
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 6:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• And oh...VS is notoriously bad at fitting. I don't think I've ever met anyone irl or online that's been properly fitted there. I've also noticed huge variation in sizing between their bras. In the 'normal' bras I'm a 36DD/38D. In the more padded ones I go up to a 36DDD/38DD.
    desert_diva

Answer by desert_diva at 6:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• When I am measured, I measure a 38 A. NEVER do I measure bigger than an A. Funny thing is in ANY A cup bra the only thing that will fit is my nipple!!

I always try the size I know I am (42D) and if I don't like how it fits I will go a size down or up.

But I don't have to worry about trying to get people at Victories Secrets to understand since rarely do they carry my size.
    palexander

Answer by palexander at 6:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• DesertDiva nailed it. Also, any weight or hormone fluctuation can make your bra size change. I started out post babies as a 38C. I lost 15 pounds and my bra size changed to a 34D! When I regained 10 of those pounds, my bra size changed again. Not back to a 38C or even 36C, but to a 34DD! The wierd part is, if they measure me on my right side, they say that I'm only a 34C, possibly 34D, but if try them on, I literally SPILL out of the cups and get that "dented fender" look.

But yeah, the size is just a number to give you a jumping off point. Every bra and mfg'er is different. (Kinda like jeans....)
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 6:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I usually wear a 38C or a 40C and when I get bras from victorias secret I usually have to get a 40D, lol.. Now I knooow my boobs arent that big, lol.. I think they just have their bras sized weirdly.
    xxMasonsMommaxx

Answer by xxMasonsMommaxx at 6:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I wear a 32D lol if your a 32D? What size should I be wearing lol??!!!
    dreamieJeanine

Answer by dreamieJeanine at 6:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• OMG I hate getting measured. It's never accurate. I measure out to be a 36D. I'm a 34G or a 32GG, though. 36s ride up in the back, the straps fall off, etc, and I REALLY pop out of Ds. I embarrassed a girl at VS when she insisted that there was no way I was ONLY a 34 around! She brought me a 36D and I put it on, opened the door and said, "Does this REALLY look like it FITS?!" Her mouth fell open and she turned so red lol. I miss being able to buy from VS, though. Measurements aren't accurate 99% of the time, they're just used to give you a starting place. You really need to know how a bra is supposed to fit. I know that (among many others) Bravissimo.com has some great tips about bra fittings. It's also true that there really isn't a standard for sizes, but many are pretty close.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 6:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011