wwyd? some stranger yelling at your kid...

i went to a playland tonight to have dinner and talk with my mom while ds played (and ate.) the play system in our mcd's has a 2 story slide so you cannot see what happens up there .... and a man had a 2 yr old (about) who he was helping climb the slide over and over and one time i hear him SCREAM - no hitting - no pushing .... my mom jumped about a foot at the loudness of the scream (even over the noise of children playing) later on i asked ds if some man yelled at him. he said yes, he didnt seem bothered, told me he told the man, "u arent my mom and you are a stranger, if you keep talking to me i am supposed to yell 'fire.'" ds is only 5 so i am very proud he remember all i have taught him about strangers.... ds said he wasnt pushing, he was tickling his friend (a girl unrelated in any way to the dad or 2yr old boy) i talked to teh mom of the girl - the girl said he wasnt pushing or hitting, the man just yelled. the mom looks at me and says "she cant lie, she just cannot." so what do you do??? after some replies i will tell you what i did....

AmaliaD

Asked by AmaliaD at 6:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I feel sorry for his son....if he can yell at someone elses child who "bumps" into him in public no less....what do you think happens to that poor little boy at home...I think you handled that correctly by confronting the situation as adults and not yelling yourself....as you saw by his wifes reaction that was not the first time he acted like a turd and wont be the last time. His son should never have been on the slide in the first place whether dad was there or not....there are safety regulations for a reason.
    proudmama101906

Answer by proudmama101906 at 2:02 AM on Jan. 14, 2011

• It kind of sounds like the kids were horsing around at the top of the slide, if I had been the parent of the 2 yr old, I would have told the other kids tto stop as well, I suppose yelling so loud was uneccessary, but the top of the slide is not the place to be tickling and screwing around.
    foxy420_1

Answer by foxy420_1 at 8:28 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would go and find out at that moment what was going on. I have no problem telling other, kids "no hitting, no pushing " if in fact I see them do it, and their parents aren't watching them. I would not yell at a child though.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would not have believed that mother that said her child can not lie.

You did not see what happened. You do not know if them playing around could have been perceived as something else to someone else. I would tell my child that in the future, come right to me. That way, you can keep a closer eye on the situation and determine if the man was being a jerk or if your some was playing a bit too rough.

layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Well after I heard the yelling I would go check to see what was going on, get the stories. If the man yelled at my child for no reason I would get in his face, tell him he has no right yelling at children, let alone children that's not even his. Told if there is a problem he needs to find the parent of the child instead of attack a yonug child like that. If he gives me any lip I would either nail him with my fast and/or go find a manger.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If I heard someone yelling I would go and check it out. If he was yelling at my son I would have told him there are better ways to talk to children that are not yours and second you should have found the child's parient. If you don't want your 2 year old to get hurt then you should not have them play. then walk away

shyone_91786

Answer by shyone_91786 at 6:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'm with foxy... I get nervous when my toddler is playing at the soft playground, and a group of rowdy older kids come running through the place. They sometimes knock her down or push her out of the way. It burns me up. I've worked with children for years, so I have no qualms telling a little one that they are not being nice. I get especially miffed when the parents are off having a social group while their children are going nuts! There's no need to yell at a child, but I will ask a child to be respectful to prevent an accident. 
    kenzie07

Answer by kenzie07 at 11:15 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I just envision a big kid falling on DD and breaking her arm or leg! Parents should be focused on their children, even on the playground. Sorry OP, but if you were focused on DS, you would've seen/heard the whole thing and there would've been no need for your friend's DD (a child) to have to validate what happened. Sounds like the man was worried for the safety of his toddler.
    kenzie07

• I agree, and I'm glad that you investigated your son's story. Clearly you aren't a mom who just decided "my kid would never do that". No one should be yelling at your child that way!!
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 6:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• basicly after the girls mom said she didnt lie i asked and then took both kids over to the man, his wife, his kid and all sat down (like you arent getting away) it was a big booth and easy to block them in. i told them what i heard, what the kids said, and asked what he would like to say. he said the kids bumped into him. i asked how many times and did they hurt him or his son - he said they bumped him once, and no one was hurt --- then i asked him --- then for what reason do you feel the right to scream at a child - let alone talk to a child you do not know... why wouldnt you come tell me if he was being bad... and honestly it doesnt sounds like he was being that bad. he was just playing. then i pointed at the little kid slide and told him - that is where 2 yr old play - he is safe there - i dont like the idea of strange men crawling the playsystem - it is creepy and .. (Wife jumps in ) "Oh my god Jake!cont
    AmaliaD

Comment by AmaliaD (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011