Anyone who received snow last night/today, did you or your husband/so have to work today?

I didn't have to work because school was cancelled. My husband is suppose to be at work at 7 pm. At 5 pm, we went outside to clear off all the snow and try to get his car ready to go. We couldn't get his car out because it is so low to the ground and we got 8 inches of snow with ice on top. So far the only people who have been able to get out in our area are people with trucks. He called his work to see if someone could pick him up. Two other people (who have trucks btw) called out of work. Luckily, my husband was able to get a hold of his boss and his boss came to pick them up. It will only be the two of them there all night but since there is a lot of snow, they are hoping there won't be many people to come in. Anyways, so did you or your husband have to work today?

JeremysMom

Asked by JeremysMom at 6:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• We are in Metro Atlanta and we got 3-4 inches of snow. Being Ga. we are now in a ghost town. Everything is closed!! Infact the gog. called it a state of emergency. lol.
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 6:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Unfortunately (and fortunately,lol) my husband's work never closes. He works at a jail as a booking officer so there is no chance they will close that. Hopefully, with all the snow, it will deter crime. Although, there was a robbery earlier this morning and they caught the guy by following his footprints in the snow, lol!

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 6:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Its snowed here but here in Utah it needs to snow close to 3 ft before they close anything down. Even then people sill have to work regardless of the snow.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 6:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• neither Dh nor I had to work today. We got 10 inches in North Alabama and they shut everything down.
    soon2bmmy

Answer by soon2bmmy at 6:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i'm a sahm, and my ds's school was cancelled. my dh owns a pharmacy, and yes, went to work, and is planning on staying the full day..until 9pm. (i seriously doubt he'll have any retail business that late, but it may save him a trip back to the store, if he has an emergency call-out from a nursing home/rehab.)
    but most of the roads here (NE ARK) are clear, just wet.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 6:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• OP, as you know I am in metro Atlanta and as you also know, DH and I own our own business. We cancelled our appointments today...it's just not worth wrecking our vehicle or dying trying to get there.
    Had any employee been scheduled to work, we would not have expected them to. I understand that it's different in your DH's job :)
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Here in the Buffalo area 8 inches is nothing, school, roads, everything would still be open....
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, but here in Georgia, 8 inches is a lot. It is the most we have received since the Blizzard of '93. We are not equipped to handle snow like this.

JeremysMom

Comment by JeremysMom (original poster) at 7:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Right now, snow IS my husband's job. He drives a plow on this god awful road for 12 hours every night. He worked last night (a weird shift, from 11PM til 7AM) and tonight he's back to regular 7-7. He'll probably work that the rest of the week.

I'm not working yet, but I'm in school full time. Today was my first day back and we were on 2 hour delay. So far, tomorrow will be the same unless it really snows a lot.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It would take FEET of snow to close anything but schools in my city. For schools it takes ATLEAST 6 inches of snow, if not more. I work at a grocery store, so no closing for me.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 4:39 PM on Jan. 11, 2011