How do you stop 3.5 year old tantrums?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I would calm pick the toddler up, place in their room and tell them that when they are done whining they can come out because you don't want to hear it. Then walk away. That is what worked for me because my son realized it didn't get him what he wanted.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 6:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have a two year old, but what I do is pick him up and put him in a time out (in his playpen or his crib). I tell him before I leave the room in my stern voice, "You may come out when you are finished throwing a fit." He normally gets the gist ofter 5 minutes and sweetly calls to to be let up. When I go to get him up, I say to him, "Are you finished throwing a fit?" and if he is nice and asks to get up again, I let him up. If he decides to throw a mini fit, I give him the count of 3 and if he doesn't stop it, he gets to stay in time out for another few minutes (no more than 5).
    Rae-Rae_Kitty

Answer by Rae-Rae_Kitty at 6:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My answer is similar to the other two. Pick them up, put them in time out, set the time for 4 minutes (1 minute per year - I rounded up the .5 year) and when the timer goes off ask them if they are ready to behave nicely. Repeat as necessary though the day. (Trust me - that part is important!)

I am a grandmother raising a grandchild but my daughter had a cool trick she used to pull on her kids when they threw tantrums. She started laughing hysterically. Not at the child just laughing in random. The kids would stop their tantrum look at her like she was crazy and soon they joined in. Why? Because laughter is contagious. Worked great in public too. BTW - that actually worked on a tantrum on my 4-year old today too.
    remomingit

Answer by remomingit at 8:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Very simple...walk away and ignore them. First telling them they are acting bad and need to stop then ignore them. Drives them crazy, and veer effective.
    MKSers

Answer by MKSers at 9:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Tell them that you will talk to them when they are done throwing a fit and ignore them (dont look at them or talk to them at all until they are done) 90% of the time kids are just doing it for attention and to get what they want. I dont give my DD anything she wants unless she asks me nicely and isnt throwing a fit.
    L0vingMy3Girls

Answer by L0vingMy3Girls at 11:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• we just told them 'it's ok to feel how you feel'
    give her space and let her throw her fit. We'd tell her that we'd be in the other room, and when she was done, to let us know. as long as she wasn't hurting herself, others or breaking things, which she never did, then it worked fine. She got it out of her system, she'd feel better and get on with things.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:12 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Like otheres, I tend to just ignore them and wait for them to pass.Avoiding repeating yourself (i.e. if the tantrum occurs because he/she was told what he oculdn't do, don't keep repeating it since that just fuels the tantrum). If he gets out of control, I put him in his room (with the door open) and tell him he can come back down when he's calm. You can also try to redirecting his attention to get involved in something else.
    momofryan07

Answer by momofryan07 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 11, 2011