• In the Spotlight:

Milk

My son will be 10 months old in about 2 days. My pedi said milk at 12 months but I was wondering if it might be a good idea to start introducing him to it now. And if so, how would i do that? milk mixed in with his formula? or different bottles or what?

LadyUsagi

Asked by LadyUsagi at 11:38 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You can start introducing it. I did and my my son is fine. =) To start off mix 1/2 formula and 1/2 milk. Just keep an eye on him to be sure he is adjusting well. If he gets unusually fussy or anything go back to formula and try again in a month or so. I didn't give him straight milk until he was 11 months.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 11:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• What is the rush?? I have always been told and have always heard never before 12 months. This is mostly due to allergies and the babies system not quite being ready for it yet. IMO, don't do it! You might be quite sorry if you do. My daughter turned 10 months yesterday and I wouldn't think of doing this.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:49 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• My pediatrician told me to keep my daughter on formula for 1 year. The reason being formula has more calories and nutrients than milk. it is a better supplement to her daily diet , she is eating table food and does quite well. it certainly is to her benefit to keep with the formula for one year. She will be one in 2 weeks, and I can't wait to be able to stop buying formula and preparing bottles.
    with my son, at one year, I began mixing bottles 1/2 formula, 1/2 milk for about a week, went to 3/4 to 1/4 and then to just milk.
    chuggerboysmom

Answer by chuggerboysmom at 11:54 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would just wait the 12 months you only have 2 more to go. They grow up fast enough don't rush it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• There is no magic age for anything. Every child is different and develops at it's own rate. If you do, just do it slowly so you can recognize problems if they were to arise.
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 1:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Your best bet is to wait until he's one and then slowly introduce it.

Cow's milk is not recommended by the American Academy of Pediatrics for children under 1 year old. Infants fed whole cow's milk don't get enough vitamin E, iron, and essential fatty acids. They also get too much protein, sodium, and potassium. These levels may be too high for the infant's system to handle. Also, whole cow's milk protein and fat are more difficult for an infant to digest and absorb. Cow's milk can have dramatic effects on the infant's iron levels. Infants fed breast milk or iron-fortified formula have normal iron levels. Studies show infants often have low iron levels when started on cow's milk at 6 months of age.

from: http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/002448.htm

ivansmom07

Answer by ivansmom07 at 1:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I guess their stomach just magically is ready on the day of their 1st birthday! lol
    SashaJ

Answer by SashaJ at 1:46 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would wait until 12 months old, just because you don't know if your childs digestive tract can handle whole milk. It could cause cramps and diareah. When you do intro milk though do half milk half formula for a week and see if there are any negative reactions, then switch to whole milk totally. Good Luck
    Kimx3babies

Answer by Kimx3babies at 2:00 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• you really should wait the extra 2 months.
    heatherama

Answer by heatherama at 2:12 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Formula has all the nutrients your baby needs until he is 12 months old. If he goes on just milk before that make sure he gets the same amount of formula your doctor recommends. IMO I would wait, but it is up to you and your doctor.
    hutch2579

Answer by hutch2579 at 3:33 PM on Nov. 12, 2008