Whats your view? did you know this was a law in most states

ok ladies...I need to vent and need some advice but dont want any bashing so I am asking anonymously.

In my state it can be considered rape and you can be charged with a Class B felony if a 16 yo has sex with a 14 yo or a 17 yo with a 15 yo even if both parties consent. the law states that age of consent is 16. this is not a fact I would know if my family was not being faced with this.

so heres the situation...my 16 yo has been accused of having sex with a 14 yo female. she says she consented..he says there was no sex....she wrote in her diary that my son was her first...yadda yadda yadda...several months later parents read her diary for some reason and report it to the police....what are your views...what would you do? any advice

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:40 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Teens (13-17)

• Hire a good lawyer.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 11:42 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• smack my son,...for sleeping with a 14 yr old ...

and then....talk to the parents * if you can *.....

and if not...a lawyer will do you both good,
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 11:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• In your case I agree hire a good lawyer. In our state the age of consent is 17, so legally if two 16 year olds have sex they can both be charged and if convicted become registered sex offenders. This law scares me because it seems like they are enforcing it more these days without parents pressing charges, like if the girl gets pregnant the school, social services, her ob can all call the cops so even if both sets of parents knew they were having sex and were okay with it the teens are charged!
    Anonymous

• Cant talk to the parents as they have involved the police. The police dont even know that we know yet but they called our attorney and advised him. This same son was accused of rape earlier this year and it was proven that she lied...they were both 16. therefor the attorney. he did not rape the other girl..they did have consensual sex then she was busted by her boyfriend and they conconcted the rape story. it was presented to grand jury and no billed as they knew she was lying.

Anonymous

• The consent age in my state is also 16, if you're under 16 and you sleep with someone who is older it doesn't matter if you consented or not. The law has to draw a line somewhere. Obviously the girl isn't as mature as someone who is sexually active should be. If your son did sleep with her then he is going to need a good defense, if he did not have sex with her then you need to stand by him and fight the allegations. A friend of mine received probation and community service for a similar charge...he was 18 and the girl claimed to be 16. When my friend no longer wanted to sleep with her she went to the police. The girl turned out to be 15. He faced hefty charges until the girl admitted that she lied to him about her age. This girl also had a history of making false police reports and despite all that he was still convicted of lesser charges.
    Anonymous

• let your son deal with the consequence. he will grow up to learn to be responsible for his actions. it is a law and he broke it. either way she said yes or not. the law is placed there to prevent young girls from getting screwed and well he screwed her. i doubt she would write in a journal if it wasn't true. so your son is lying. i'm sorry. my own oldest son is a great example of taking responsibility. my son threatened a girl. she was not really threatened i think cause she talked to him after this happened. it appeared that charges would not come of it then 6+ months later they did. i was ready to fight it but he said no. i did it and i just want to do what i have too and get over this. i was so proud.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 12:54 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• even though we could of won he felt he had done wrong. he stepped up to the plate and took responsibility for his actions. even though he never would of done it and was just mad. he got probation and had to do community service. most likely your son will get off just as easily and the charges will not stick to that class felony. since it would be his first offense. right. they make it sound scary and all but it's going to be ok. you'll spend lots for an attorney and in the end he will still be charged and he will still have to get charged in some form. as an adult if he is good til then the charge will be or should be erased. my sons record will be. so let him do what has to be done. then he will have more respect for the law and learn that they must be followed. it's part of growing up. we make mistakes but have to learn from them. he learn one here.
    melody77

• I agree with melody77 , your son got himself into this situation, let him deal with the consequences.
    JDsMa

Answer by JDsMa at 1:23 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• This is a law in the state of GA. There was a huge story not to long ago about a 17 yr old that had consentual sex (she said it was) with a 15 yr old girl. I think someone caught them and he was sent to jail for over a year. I really think this was not fair. THis poor kid who was not a criminal in anyway was treated like one. I hope justice prevails and maybe he will get off with just a probation or something. He really does need to learn the law and make better judgments, but I don't think he needs to be in jail...poor guy.
    momofsaee

Answer by momofsaee at 1:26 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I say you hire a good lawyer! If it was my boy I would be very angry, then again if it was my girl.. But I have to say I think her parents are being unfair not talking to you first, especially since it was consentual. But I suppose there was nothing you can do about this, except try to fight it!
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 1:35 PM on Nov. 12, 2008