What would you do if GM, Ford and Chrysler went bankrupt?

Would you be upset if Toyota started to produce the GM line? What if Hyundai picked up the Ford line? Nissan the Chrysler line? I don't think these manufacturers have unions I think they are fair and treat their employees good, but I may be wrong and that's why I'm asking all of you? I would be sad because I love my Chevy's but hey, survival is survival.

SheriSanchez

Asked by SheriSanchez at 11:44 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• It wouldn't really bother me...I drive a Suzuki and my boyfriend drives a Nissan. : /
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:47 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Wouldn't bother me. I think they are over priced on their gas guzzlers anyway. Maybe it would teach other car makers to not be greedy.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 11:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• the auto manufacturers in the south without unions are not going bankrupt or asking for bailouts. even today, with paulson mentioning the big 3 problems (1050 est) he slipped up and said the government would support "the automakers management". what was that supposed to mean?
    unions and manangement associated with the big 3 in northern regions are responsible for their own problems. letting toyota and honda build plants in the us to hire amercian workers was alot smarter than continuing to send the cars over here to be bought by americans and made by foreigners, right?
    JumpingHoops

Answer by JumpingHoops at 11:50 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• The only reason I would want to see the government bail out these auto makers is to avoid seeing thousands more families in the unemployment line. As far as the companies themselves I have no desire to see the government bail out more corporate kings so they can continue to live in the lap of luxury. What these companies should have done was invest more money into alternative fuel and hybrid research and lower their end product cost when they had the chance and this mess wouldn't have happened. Sure, they'd still be facing hard times but not to the point they'd be looking for a government handout.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I guess to answer the original question, I would say No. It would not bother me to be driving a Toyota Malibu. To be honest with you until 4 months ago I'd never owned anything but a domestic vehicle and I've had bad luck with all of them. I kind of wonder if we might get better fuel mileage and longer running vehicles this way.
    sillyt

Answer by sillyt at 11:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I know a lot of people that work at the Ford plant in K.C. and they are making huge salaries and they are just the people on the assembly line. I would hate to see them end up without a job but it also pisses me off that the government is thinking about bailing them out. My husband is self-employed and we are really struggling to keep up with the bills and everything with the way the economy is. I find it totally unfair that the government is willing to help them and the little guys like us just suffer through and cut back or do without.
    Sue41

Answer by Sue41 at 12:05 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• sillyt, you bring up something very interesting: here's my quote from you "To be honest with you until 4 months ago I'd never owned anything but a domestic vehicle and I've had bad luck with all of them. I kind of wonder if we might get better fuel mileage and longer running vehicles this way.", imports cost more is it because they are fair to their employees and they produce excellent workmanship? Sometimes I think Americans lack the kind of quality control that goes into japanese and german engineering. Maybe we should let them fail. I would be OK too driving a Toyota Suburban, all of the little idiotic things that are broke on it would've probably never broke if it already was a Toyota.
    SheriSanchez

Answer by SheriSanchez at 12:15 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I think they should take the "bailout" money and give it to the employees so they can get better jobs and let the auto industry go under. Not all employees just the assembly people.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 12:19 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It will probably collapse alot of middle class. Keep thinking it doesn't effect you because the domino effect will eventually hit.

Also reminds me of an email I got. It said a mouse seen a farmer set a mouse trap and he ran to tell the others and ask for help. They all said it wasn't there problem and wished him well. Then a snake tail accidently got in the trap. The farmer's wife went to remove the snake and the snake bit her. She was taken to the hospital and died. The farmer couldn't afford the funeral so he sold the cow and the new owners killed her. Then he slaughtered the pig and the chicken to feed the attendees. It basically means help each other out because otherwise it may come back on you.
    Anonymous

• I would hate to see the families all out of a job, but hey, survival of the fittest. That means, for everybody, no favoritism, gov't should bail NO ONE ELSE out. I hate that people are ok with such a big gov't! Wth! I want them out of my life, but others are fighting for more meddling in theirs.

We take care of ourselves, we do not owe anyone, anything. That is how it should be. The gov't doesn't owe me squat, and I don't owe them diddly. I take pride in the fact that we take care of ourselves. THere is no pride in relying on the gov't for every single thing. THey are not your babysitters.
    Anonymous