cow's milk ... diaper rash? may be TMI

My son has been struggling with blister-type diaper rashes lately ... his poop is always loose, and it almost seems to "burn" his diaper area. We try to be prompt with diaper changes, but it always seems to happen! It takes forever to get rid of these open sores too:( We switched him to almond milk for a few days, and when we ran out (and ironically, his sores had healed), we just gave him cow's milk that was in the fridge until I got more almond milk. About 24 hours after cow's milk, he's back to having raised red areas on his bum that will get so irritated over the next few days (usually happens this way), and become open again (diff areas each time). So, has anybody heard of cow's milk making poop so toxic that it "burns" kid's bums?! Or am I just crazy? (I realize this is far fetched, but I'm so desparate to find a reason for this problem!)

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• He could be allergic
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 7:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• it could be a side effect of it. It is a result of lactose intolerance.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would definitely call the doctor,fill him/her in on the reactions to the different milks. See what the doctor says.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• if he has a milk allergy then yes he could be getting the diaper rash from that but you said your giving him almond milk? Id be making sure he isnt have a allergic reaction to that to because its very common for young kids to be allergic to nuts. Why dont you try putting him on rice milk, or soy. Also you may want to talk to your childs dr about a allergy test.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Definitely sounds like lactose intolerance.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Definitly have him tested for allergies. Until you find out though get some pure cornstarch baby powder & apply at every diaper change. That will help with the rash tremendously. Poor baby. GL to you both.
    amy197

Answer by amy197 at 3:07 AM on Jan. 11, 2011