if most can agree that he was mentally unstable, what is to be done with him?

Is there any sympathy for a mentally unstable man with little control of his actions and thoughts?

Does this killer deserve help? Just jail? The death penalty for the mentally ill?

What should the charges be?

What is just? What is vengeful?what is best for scciety?

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 7:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• Like I said before. Mentally ill or not, that SOB needs to be shot between the eyes.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think jail for life. The death penalty makes us as bad as him and there is no way anyone should be put in the wrong like that. Instead he should rot in jail.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 7:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• mentally ill is a very good excuse now days and im sorry but if you are able to shoot someone, hurt a child and many other terrible things then your mental clearly you have to be out of your mind to do these things so IMO he should sit and rot in prison or get the death penalty.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Jax

Are you saying you don't see the difference in what he did to that of a common criminal?

Or that it doesn't matter? Killer is a killer?
    sweet-a-kins

Comment by sweet-a-kins (original poster) at 7:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have sympathy for those with mental illness, but I think it depends on many factors. In the United States, people who are diagnosed with mental illnesses have rights. They have the right to refuse treatment. You can not force a mentally ill person to take meds or to get therapy.
    We can learn a lot if we look at John Hinckley Jr and his attempt on Ronald Regan. They gave him unsupervised visits with his parents in 2000, almost 20 years after the attempt. His visitations were revoked for several years due to the fact that he smuggled material about Jodi Foster back to the hospital.
    He is again allowed visitations.
    I think that if this young man is found truly mentally ill, he would need to be monitored very closely, then we can determine if he can truly be habilitated.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• First it has to be determined that he is mentally incompetent. If so, he needs to be locked up and treated until it is determined that he is hea;thy enough to  stand trial. At that point, let a jury of his peers determine his fate. Similar to the path that Elizabeth Smart's captures followed.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 7:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Name on criminal who was in their right mind when they went on a mass killing spree? I say death penalty. There's no such thing rehabilitation for mass killers.
    myame

Answer by myame at 7:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Behind bars for life. No books, no tv, no pillow, no meds, no dental care, no luxuries. period.
    parrishsky

Answer by parrishsky at 7:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I see no purpose for this psycho. He is a lost cause. And as such taxpayers should not have to foot the bill for his LIFETIME of care (he's only 22). What he did is WHY the death penalty exists and needs to be utilized.

Same thing for Casey Anthony, Scott Peterson (Lacey and Connor), etc.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Sad as it is, the only punishment that seems capable of both serving justice and being the best for society is the death penalty.

Leah, if you choose to label yourself as bad as this young man that's your call ~ but I will not accept that, or even consider it as rational. The rest of us didn't go out and murder people because we 'felt like it'. That is NOT what the death penalty is/does. That sentence is based on a person's actions. It is a punishment; not a random act done for pleasure, anger, hatred, etc.

If any other animal killed this way, they would already have been shot or euthed. What is the difference between mad dogs and psychotic humans? Can someone explain that to me please ~ and than tell me again what you would do to the dog that eats the neighbor's 9 year old or mauls several people. What is the difference; why is one killed and one tucked away and cared for for life?
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2011