Have your kids ever said anything that made you cry?

My son is 4 years old and today he perked up and ask why some people are homeless. I explained to him that some people just have bad luck and have harder times getting jobs, and did what i could to explain it to him. Then he asked well can we let them come live with us. Here I preach to him how we need to help each other and care for one another, then he ask that an I stumble over what to say. I then had to explain to him though most of the homeless people are safe to help,there are a few that are very dangerous and would hurt us in a heart beat to take what we have. Now i'm thinking was I wrong to tell him that?

sarah.luckylady

Asked by sarah.luckylady at 7:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• No he is still pretty young and Ireally don't think he was trying to be really mean for what he said but I think that as he gets older he will come around and then understand when he gets older. But try not to let things get to you to much as he is only 4 years old and I'm not taken his side but my son is 9 years old and he has said that some hurtful things but my son has special needs and Autsimand very slow at learning things. So take some time and think about what he says then jump in an answer him.
    auntie335

Answer by auntie335 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i would have said to my son that sometimes people make the wrong choices in life and end up on the street. i would have said they couldn't come live with us, but that we could maybe donate some used clothing to local shelters to help them get back on track...

one of the things that my three year old says to me that makes me cry is- mommy, please don't go to work. stay home with me. :-(
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• the truth is had but always right
    mrs.ernster

Answer by mrs.ernster at 7:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Nope, I find what he says is funny. My 3.5 son says "Bad Mommy", "Go away", "Freak you". Sometimes I shouldn't laugh, but it's so cute.
    ChildGoddess

Answer by ChildGoddess at 7:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My kids would ask things like that when they were little, and they have grown to be very aware young adults (they pay attention to what's going on in the world and in our society, and they have very definite opinions on it - some I agree with, some I don't, but they do tend to be pretty well thought out, so...)

I don't think your answer was wrong at all - I believe if a child is old enough and mature enough to form the question, then they should get an honest answer. However, I think I would go back and add something to it, something along the lines of "because some of them would hurt us, and don't know which is which, it's not a good idea to let them come live with us. Which is why, instead the best way we can help is to volunteer our time at a homeless shelter, or to give money / supplies, etc (whatever your family can do to help - tell him about that).

sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son think that me having twins will be like a bad bowel movement. So he tell people my mommy has 5months til she goes and she going to get really life like dolls and they are going to be my seeling he means siblings.

karing4elmas

Answer by karing4elmas at 7:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No! you didn't give a wrong answer. There are people who don't have good intentions, and it's important to let them know that. You can tell him although we can't let them live with us, there is a place that helps them, and we can donate some clothes or food to help. It would be a good thing to teach him how to help his community, and you might even be able to organize something with your friends or neighbors and get a fairly large donation.
    Ms.Wendy83

Answer by Ms.Wendy83 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 11, 2011