What are OHIO's "rules" for entering kindergarten ?

or is there a website where I can find this info - I have tried to search for it but cant find what I am looking for...

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in

• What are you wanting to know? Are you wanting the cut off date? What age they have to go by? If Kindergarten in Ohio is mandatory?

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Here is some info- Kindergarten in Ohio is mandatory and the child must be 5 by Sept. 30 (Aug. 1st for some districts). Let me know if you need more info.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son was 4 when he started Kindergarden...His birthday is Aug 31. I live in Ohio..he is now 5.
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I was wondering if they have to go at 5 ( or if we can wait for the following year when she is 6) - her birthday is July 27 ...

and if age is the only factor , like does she have to know how to write her name, know all her letters, etc.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Here is Ohio's Kindergarten checklist.

http://education.ohio.gov/GD/Templates/Pages/ODE/ODEDetail.aspx?Page=3&TopicRelationID=778&Content=84300

Just remember, there is still 6-7 months before she starts kindergarten and children change and learn so fast at this age. If by Kindergarten registration, you still have concerns then I would call the school board for your district and ask their opinion/advice or ask about if she can wait the extra year.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son going in at 4 didnt know all of his letters ar numbers..being in there since Aug when school started he knows all of his numbers, letters, and can count to 100 and knows how to count by 5's and is learning how to spell and read. I would say try and enroll her now and see if they will accept her now even tho she has already missed a few months. But kids catch on so quickly...but i wouldnt wait to put her in till she is 6. She will be behind in the things she should be learning in 1st grade, which most kids are 6. Good luck mama
    Amberlovesher3

Answer by Amberlovesher3 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011