Should I be giving my 14 wk old a bath every night? I'm trying to establish a bedtime routine but am concerned the daily baths are drying to her skin, especially in the winter

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 7:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I dont think its necessary to bathe a newborn that often. Every other day or two worked for us
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• you could go every other night, at 14 weeks she's not outside playing and getting dirty. my 11 month old is struggling with dry skin still in this winter, so after every bath i lather her up with J & J's moisture care baby lotion.
    tnm786

Answer by tnm786 at 7:14 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• With my son we did and still do every night before bed as part of his routine. His skin was more dry in the winter, we used soaps like aveeno that seemed to be less drying as well as lotion every night too before his PJ's.
    If it seems like to much for your babies skin you could always do something every other night and just wash with a washcloth face and hands and stuff... and do the rest of the routine the same.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 7:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Honestlyevery other or every 3rd day is plenty for a newborn. They don't get that dirty and we tend to do a pretty good job of cleaning them up after they poop or pee.

as for the routine, there are name other things that you can do for it...snuggles, read a book, rock, lotion.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 7:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would say bathe every other day, but do the lotion, towel, cuddle, after bath routine every night.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think you could get away with giving a bath every other night and just keep her lotion up and maybe see if they have baby lotion that will keep the skin fromgetting dry that some thing to look in to as well.
    auntie335

Answer by auntie335 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• That is what baby lotion is for,to prevent it.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 7:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I preferred bathing daily with my boys. They do spit up, and no matter how well you wipe them with wipes, they get wet and "messy", they get formula or breast milk on them, so I always felt better bathing them daily. I did use baby lotion, and actually I think they enjoy getting the lotion massaged over their little bodies.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Not neccisarily unless she's the type to spit up a lot. It's up to you though.
    If you do bathe them every night then use a moisturizing baby wash to help keep the moisture inside the skin.
    As well don't make the water too warm as that can draw moisture out of the skin.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 7:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Heck no. When DS was a newborn, he was bathed once per week, or for company, with wipe ups as necessary. You're right too much bathing is hard on the skin.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011