should I let them share a room?

I have a 3 year old daughter and a 6 year old son. They have separate rooms now, but they've recently decided that they want to share a bedroom and have a separate playroom (that they share also).

the only privacy issue would be my six year old getting completely undressed. He's uncomfortable being completely nude in front of her, so he would most likely have to do that in the bathroom.

they get along really well, for siblings, and my son likes having someone in the room with him when he sleeps- which he doesn't have now in our current arrangement.

my husband thinks I'm crazy for wanting to let them do it. . . I think it will be fine until they get a little older and want their privacy.

wallylicious

Asked by wallylicious at 11:53 AM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• There’s no law in existence which governs children of different sexes sharing rooms in privately owned homes. It’s up to the home owners / parents to sort out bedrooms and sleeping areas and make sure all children are well catered for in terms of sleeping arrangements. Many children share bedrooms with their siblings and step- brothers and sisters and don’t experience any problems (bar the occasional fall-out, as is normal with children!). If there was a law in place, it could be very difficult for people who are unable to buy a bigger home due to lack of money.

However, if the house is rented and owned by a housing association, sometimes they do have rules and regulations in place concerned with how many children, and which sex of children, can sleep in any one bedroom.
    DawnA72

Answer by DawnA72 at 3:27 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I think if you made a big deal outta this, it will become a big deal. Just shrug it off. They are children.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:55 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I would not.. that's about the age boys become very curious

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:57 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• Not really what she is asking, Anon. I think that here pretty soon your boy will rethink this idea and you will have rearranged for very little time together. Go for it, if you feel it is best. I think it is awesome that your children get along so well and that you helped encourage that and also that you take them seriously. However, I think it will be a lot of effort on your part and that it won't last very long. JMO though
    Mom1Stepmom1

Answer by Mom1Stepmom1 at 11:58 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• They are young. If that's what they want to do then let them, And eventually they are going to want their own room back. I say sure why not? I agree with the other post too. If you make a deal of it then it will be one.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:59 AM on Nov. 12, 2008

• I don't see a problem letting them share if thats what they want, They will most likely change there minds again. As long as you don't mind moving there things then just do it.
    I shared a bedroom with my brother from birth til I was 6 and he was 8 and we are normal and happy nothing bad ever happend.
    Anonymous

• I think it is perfectly normal for young children of different sexes to share rooms. As for changing clothes, that can always be done while the other child is out of the room. I am more concerned about people that find the room sharing odd than the children themselves sharing the room.
    Anonymous

• Yeah I would let mine...I would be annoyed if they wanted to switch back quite soon after but I would get over it. Kids will be kids...I think its fab they get along so well :)
    keyaziz

Answer by keyaziz at 12:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It is fine. If this were my childen I would let them share a room. In fact, I would be thrilled that not only are they brother and sister - but they are friends. They are nurturing and developing their relationship. At around ages 6 - 8 children do get embarassed about their own nakedness. It is normal. So he and you can establish some places that he can change and have privacy. Just as long as he understands his room is not a private place because he shares it with his sister. Both may feel a little anxious alone at night and more comfortable and secure knowing someone else is in the room with them. Don't make a big deal over it. The time to separate siblings of the opposite sex is during the onset of puberty. So thankfully you have a few years.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:08 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• sure why not? My sister and I shared a room until I was in middle school and there was never a problem with it. Some people see the same sex sharing the room as not a problem, but molestation doesn't always occur with one sex molesting the other.
    NHGal

Answer by NHGal at 12:11 PM on Nov. 12, 2008