prozac and breastfeeding?

I'v been talking prozac for ppd since my dd was 6 weeks old. Shes now four months old and I keep seeing it's not safe to take while breastfeeding? I'v tried to stop taking it but I fall in old habbits again with the crying, not wanting to get out of bed, or ill stay up for what seems like days, picking fights, mood swings, plus I have nightmares and ocd about stupid things. I take it at night becasue she sleeps through the night and I figure she gets less of it. Has anyone else taking prozac and breastfeed?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Your doctor would have never prescribed it if it wasn't safe while breast feeding
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You need to ask your dr this. It should have been one of the first ?'s. Not being rude just saying that only he/she will know. GL
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I did she said it was fine to do but i keep reading stuff about how its not safe.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 7:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If you don't feel its safe, don't take it. Maybe you could find some other safer alternative to use. Like the other posters said. Ask a good Doctor about this.
    ChildGoddess

Answer by ChildGoddess at 7:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Stop reading so much!! lol Seriously it causes more anxiety. Dont self medicate or diagnose. If you trust your dr then listen to her. Stop worrying so much. If you want a second opinion then go see another dr. But I really wouldnt worry about it. Everything is bad anymore and if we believed everything we read wed be in seclusion
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Doctors will prescribe things not safe while breastfeeding, you need to ask a pharmacist.

http://www.askdrsears.com/html/2/t029100.asp

http://www.kellymom.com/health/meds/antidepressants-hale10-02.html

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The best places to find out what is and is not safe are as follows:
    Ask an IBCLC
    Ask a LLL leader
    Get a copy of Dr Hale's book, Medications and Mothers Milk or check his website
    Google LactMed

As far as I know, prozac IS safe, though zoloft is first choice for nursing moms.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 9:17 AM on Jan. 11, 2011