I'm just not the babysitting type...

I have a new friend who is awesome to talk to but one thing is starting to drive me crazy. She keeps hinting BIG time about me watching her kids so she can have some her time. I completely understand and we all need it but I am not the person willing to do it. I was never interested in babysitting when I was in school and I really don't like watching other peoples kids but my own. That sounds so mean but thats just my personality. She always offers to watch my child and I have said thank you but never taken her up on it because I don't want to owe her the favor. I really don't know how to explain to her that I really don't feel comfortable watching other children and give her suggestions on babysitters, but without sounding like a jerk.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• just give her the numbers of some sitters the next time she brings it up...no need to explain to her!
    john2007

Answer by john2007 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• give her someone's name or suggest she use a mommy's day-out service at a local childcare center/church. if she doesn't take the hint, and ends up asking you to sit for her, just tell her 'no'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 7:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Id be honest and tell her that you just dont feel comfortable watching other ppls kids. You have your own and its enough to handle. Or you can keep avoiding her! lol Id prob do that too haha
    Steph319

Answer by Steph319 at 7:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Be straight up honest with her. I am the same way. I had a friend that absolutely loved to babysit though.. I thought she would want me to watch her kids if I said yes that she could watch mine, so I wouldn't let her. LOL!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 7:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Just be honest,she wouldn't want you to keep her kids if you don't like watching other people's kids. BTW, I don't usaually like watching other's kids either.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'm not the 'babysitting' type, either --because I very strongly believe children need their mothers, not 'just anyone' who probably won't actively try to abuse or kill them.

I didn't have my kids so someone else could raise them, and have absolutely no interest in raising anyone else's children for them. I have had several people ask to list me as 'guardian' and I politely decline for all but my sister.

I have spent a lot of time with several families, over the years, with mothers drifting in and out --not 'babysitting' as much as being a community and supporting each other's needs and dreams. I spent some years with my kids going to one friend's home while I was going to the gym, and spending a lot of time there myself (with the kids) because she was running a family daycare and needed extra help just to get the regular life stuff done. It wasn't a trade, and we never kept track --we just spend lots of time together.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Just tell her exactly what you said here. I don't think that was hurtful or unreasonable. I would certainly never ask a friend who wasn't comfortable babysitting to babysit. To be honest, unless someone offered to watch my kids I never left them with anyone. I NEVER asked someone to watch my kids....they had to offer. Unless it was a paid sitter.
    ohwrite

Answer by ohwrite at 7:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• If her kids are preschool age advise her to look for a Mothers Day out program. They didn't have those when my kids were little...but oh did I love it when my grandkids were that age.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Im the same way! I love love love watching my kids but watching overs peoples children is a handful at times. I would just give her your babysitters number. :) Good luck
    kiansmom0423

Answer by kiansmom0423 at 7:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Next time she hints or asks just say laughing "I don't even likewatching my own kids" or "yeah right, let me know the name of your sitter". If that doesn't work just tell her "no thank you".
    DansBabe

Answer by DansBabe at 8:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011