Do you children's school have security guards or metal detectors?

I am asking because here we have a few police officers that patrol the campus every so often, but are not on campus all the time and there are no other forms of security in our high school. Yesterday morning, a girl here was stabbed in the throat in the halls at school. Obviously our system isn't working.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:03 PM on Nov. 12, 2008 in General Parenting

• I do like the idea of campus security or school officers. But medal detectors I am a little unsure of. I have worked at a school where they had hidden cameras in many places, officers, and all kids had wear a uniform. It did reduced the number of fights and other student incidents. It was a public school where they had student from lower socio-economic homes going to school with children from higher socio-economic homes. Gangs were also an issue. So measures were put in place and they worked. But they did not have a medal detector.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 12:13 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• i did in my school lol but or school wasn't that bad to where we needed them. just be happy the care about safety!

whitenena

Answer by whitenena at 12:36 PM on Nov. 12, 2008

• It depends on the school in our area.. although supposedly our new superintendent (who has never taught a day of school in his life, can you tell how much i like him *sarcasm) is pushing for security measures in response to two school shootings. While I applaud security measures, I question the politics of it when he has cut the budget by pushing out seasoned and experienced teachers to hire OUT OF STATE wet behind the ears new graduates. What does this have to do with security? Well, the experienced teachers have training to diffuse situatons, have rapport with students, etc. Metal detectors don't. Assuming the worst of student's won't, either. It's sad. I worked in the school system with special needs children and we had security cameras in every room.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 12:58 PM on Nov. 12, 2008