Math for 3rd graders. This can't be right, Can it? Help Moms!!

My son is a 3rd grader in a public school in Texas. I am not sure if the curriculum here is any different from other states and schools.

My son came home with his math homework for the week and I was shocked at what he handed me. Geometry. To be more precise Geometry and Spatial Reasoning.

I don't remember doing geometry until high school. 10th grade as a matter of fact.

Has anyone else's 3rd grader brought home something similar? By the way the math packet is 8 pages and it's due Wednesday? Are they piling on waaaaaay too much or am I just babying my son? I attached a picture of the homework

4xsthetrouble

Asked by 4xsthetrouble at 7:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• We've lived in a lot of places, and the math curriculum has been pretty varied. Some places we've lived they didn't do this, but in others they did. My kids did it (luckily, when my kids were in the older elem. grades we lived where they did this). I have to say, it's really helped them now that they're in high school. It helped establish the basic concepts of geometry and etc early on so they didn't struggle with it later when it got a lot harder.

I would be glad that he's doing it :-)
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 7:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have a 3rd grader, and yes, she does geometry concepts in math. I can't really read the paper you posted, but from the name of it, it seems similar to the kinds of things my kid works on (and struggles with sometimes!)
    Curricula has changed over the years. I didn't do any geometry in 3rd grade either.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 7:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Very blurry, but my cousins son is doing that work. He is in third grade too. I think kids today are doing things a lot earlier than we did as children.

Christine0813

Answer by Christine0813 at 7:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think that stuff looks normal for 3rd grade. Just because they say Geometry, it is not what we did in high school. It is just the basics of geometry. 3rd grade is when the homework amps up in our town.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 7:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I started in third grade along with algebra and I would have to sassy that it helped me in later years. I was able to skip a grade level in math. It is something that they can understand so the earlier they start the better.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 7:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'm not much help because I'm in Texas too... but that is the standard here too. My GD is in GATE math classes and she did these the second 9 weeks of school.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 7:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Well if there are 8 problems per page that is 64 problems, broken up over two days is only 32 problems a day.

I don't think it is excessive as long as he understands how to do it. My oldest had geometry in third grade too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 7:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Geometry starts with recognizing shapes and measuring things, in kindergarten. They just don't tend to use the word for it at that point. He's not going to be plotting polynomic functions on a graph anytime soon.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 7:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• looks about right.

No they are not piling on too much. Think about it, they have 20+ kids to teach in a certain amount of time (about 30 mins per subject, the other time is spent standing in line, waiting for classmates to finish, ect), kids are going to have homework. Sucks but that is the way it goes...
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 7:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No but they are teaching these kids things a lot earlier than when I was in school. I was pissed when I was hearing my daughter at the age of 9 reading a book that mentioned animal sperm and reproduction. They are making it to where parents will have to have the sex talk with our kids before kindergarten at the rate they are changing teaching every year.
    405mom

Answer by 405mom at 7:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011