Can a woman with type 2 diabetes get pregnant?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 7:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Trying to Conceive

• Yes but there are health risks
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 7:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, but I would make sure you have it under control before getting pregnant.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 7:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• yes, it tends to be harder though. i was pre-diabetic and i couldn't get pregnant for a long time, i had to lose weight. most people can get rid of type 2 diabetes simply by getting their weight down
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 7:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• you sure can just have to keep your sugars under control... i am and i'm working on #2.. there are health risk to the baby and you but if you do it right then you'll be just fine..
    Lynnsae

Answer by Lynnsae at 8:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yes, but there is an increased chance of miscarriage, among other things. I have type 2 diabetes, and PCOS, and I was able to have a baby. But I can't get my blood sugar under the ideal number right now to have a 2nd one. You just have to be really cautious, possibly take extra progesterone, and metformin.
    corbysmom531

Answer by corbysmom531 at 9:50 PM on Jan. 12, 2011

• Yes you can. I was diagnosed with type 2 diabetes16 months ago. I went in to the doctors thinking I had a UTI or maybe even pregnant...and I came out of there with a diagnosis of diabetes. I was scared and terrified cause we wanted another baby so bad. At that time my A1C was 11.0 and we were actually trying to have a baby. I went back on birth control, started exercising, eating well and lost 50 lbs in a little less than one year. One year after my diagnosis my A1C was 5.5, so I decided to go off birth control. Four months later, we were pregnant. I am not 9 weeks pregnant and take it day by day. I had to start insulin at 8 weeks, but it is not bad at all. I was on glyburide but they switched me to insulin since it is safer for the baby. So yes you can get pregnant. I suggest you talk to your physician beforehand and take the proper steps in trying to conceive. If i can do it, anyone can! Good luck!
    natalie0318

Answer by natalie0318 at 10:54 PM on Feb. 1, 2011