• In the Spotlight:

Low impact cardio?

I can't really run because of my ankles, or do anything else that might put much pressure on them other than walking (they're really fragile from several breaks when I was growing up, and I was told as a teenager to avoid running, jumping, etc.). I don't own a bike (even if I did, there's really nowhere to ride around here), and there aren't public pools so I'm desperately trying to figure something out that isn't going to cause me to shatter an ankle. Any suggestions?

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 7:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• You could do some restorative yoga to just build some strength back and keep your body moving, maybe try an elliptical.
    KTMOM

Answer by KTMOM at 10:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• what about buying a stationary bike? Or one of the things that just have the pedals that you put on the floor and use like a stationary bike? hula hoops burn calories...I have the Wii Fit and it has a hula hoop game in it and I am sweating if I use it for a while
    buffyg

Answer by buffyg at 10:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Gosh I have no idea. You can't even do an elliptical? The only suggestion I would have is maybe ask your doctor. Good luck I hope you are able to find something.
    Peajewel

Answer by Peajewel at 10:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• What about low impact aerobics? Leave out what you can't do and fill in with what you can.
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I will give you a bump, because I was gonna say the pool.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Is there a local YMCA you can check out? I know gym memberships can be expensive but I know the local Y's around here can give you rates based on income as well. They have pools, bikes, ellipticals etc.
    Also, elliptical might be a good investment if you're looking for cardio that won't be too hard on your ankles and you don't want to join a gym. Work on some strength training also in your hips, core and legs - that will help you protect your ankles as well
    Mom_2_cuties

Answer by Mom_2_cuties at 9:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• get our arms moving and while you are sitting on the couch wiggle around- get your heart rate up!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 9:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The nearest Y is a LONG drive from here (it's like a day trip to get to that town, then come back home), we don't have gyms anyway, and I wish I had room for any equipment. I hardly have room for the few items of furniture we have, though.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 9:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I just don't have room for exercise equipment here. My mom had an elliptical and I used it when I lived at home and liked it. I wish we had room for stuff because I'd probably have one and a bike and IDK what else if we did.

I didn't know there was such a thing as low impact aerobics.
    Mrs.BAT

Comment by Mrs.BAT (original poster) at 11:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I just saw a commercial I think it was about RA but the had a website you can design your own workout plan
    Ashlynnsmommy07

Answer by Ashlynnsmommy07 at 1:59 AM on Jan. 11, 2011