Has anyone taken on line college courses?

I've been checking out on line college degrees. I already have an Assoc. Degree but would like to turn it into a Bachlors. Any advice?

DansBabe

Asked by DansBabe at 7:59 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• I am. It works for me. The flexibility is nice because I'm a single mom and I work full time.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 8:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I love online classes. I like the flexibility, I like working alone and I love not having to travel to & from campus and sit in a class. BUT you have to be disciplined and organized to do online classes. The work is given to you and then you alone are solely responsible for keeping up with it and turning it in on time. It's not for everyone!
    remomingit

Answer by remomingit at 8:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Yeah, check out your local community college or state university. A lot of traditional schools now have degrees that are 100% online for about 1/4 the cost of online only schools.

I am currently taking online classes and have been for two years. You do have to be self driven and organized though.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 8:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• There arn't any 4 yr colleges close enough for me to drive so I thought it may be the way to go. I'm 46 and can't help but wonder if I'm to old.
    DansBabe

Comment by DansBabe (original poster) at 8:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Like Erica said, check local colleges. I'm taking two online right now, but I personally prefer being in a classroom. The only reason I'm taking these two online is because one is only offered online and the other would conflict with a class I needed to take this semester. But, I know tons of people who absolutely love them and think they're the greatest thing ever. Good luck with your degree!
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 8:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

And you are never too old to learn!!!!

Answer by rkoloms at 9:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Definitely check comm colleges first. The cost is half or less of the online only schools and they're guaranteed accredited. Some of those schools that advertise charge you $20k for a degree that's not even valid in the state where you live.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• *and by check comm colleges, I mean their online programs. Our state has a state 2 yr school and they're all networked. You can take classes from different campuses all over the state at the same time.
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011