need some tips about breast feeding?

well im pregnant right now, and im wanting to breastfeed but im kind of worried about breast feeding in public, im worried that people will stare at me, and what if my boob pops out and everyone sees it? i just dont know how to breastfeed in public without it being too obvious. has anyone breastfed and did u do it in public? did anybody notice? and did anybody say anything to u?

hello_kitty1

Asked by hello_kitty1 at 8:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I used a recieving blaket to cover up with. I also think that blaket with a huge hole for your head works well, that way you can readjust he baby with out holding the blanket with your hands. You just have to be confident that you are doing something natural.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I breast fed my DD anywhere and everywhere. I nursed her parked in the car, in Target dressing rooms, at the cafeteria in IKEA, at the dinner table, my in-laws living room. Anywhere. No one ever saw my boob. I wore nursing tank tops that I got from Target, they had a flap that pulled down to expose the breast for nursing. I would wear a sweater or top over that. Then I could just open my sweater or pull up my shirt and nurse. I always placed a blanket over my shoulder to cover myself up, eventually I got a "hooter hider" which made it even easier because that was kind of like an apron and it has a little hoop to made it easy to look in at baby. You really get so good at it that you can open your shirt with one hand and position baby with the other, once they're latched on you don't have to do anything until you switch sides. There isn't a lot of boob just flapping around in the breeze. Best of luck- I hope you give it a go.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• There's some breastfeeding cover ups. They work really well. Usually when I had to breastfeed and we were out I just went to the car and did it. At some places, in the ladies' room they have chairs and you can do it in there. I wasn't big on just whipping out a boob in front of strangers so I worked around it. Best of luck to you!
    myree85

Answer by myree85 at 8:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Oh, and I forgot to add that no one ever gave me grief about it, or funny looks or stared or anything like that. I never felt a need to apologize for feeding my child but I did feel it was respectful to be modest and keep my breast covered when in public. At home I was comfortable just nursing with my top down. I didn't feel self conscious about it at all even though my body post-baby wasn't exactly what I wished. The whole thing just felt very natural to me and it came really easily to me.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 8:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• yeah im just really shy and dont like to be in spot light. i feel like people would stare at me the whole time, but i might get used to it who knows.
    hello_kitty1

Comment by hello_kitty1 (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You will be focused on your baby, not on any rude people

Answer by rkoloms at 9:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I wanted to breastfeed, but ended up having issues and couldn't. Anyway, I have some friend who breastfeed thier little ones and most of the time it's not even noticable that they are doing it. If you are worried about people looking though, you could always use a cover up or a blanket. Good luck! (and don't worry about what other people think)
    MomToLilAngel

Answer by MomToLilAngel at 9:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You practice at home, get the baby in position before lifting your shirt. Wear layers, top layer goes up, under layer stays down so the breast is the ONLY thing exposed and babys head blocks that. I never had anyone stare when I NIPed. I had more people back away apologeticly when I was just holding him. LOL and I had to say, "Oh no, he's not eating, just sleeping" Ha-ha.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Practice at home. Try it in front of someone you are comfortable w/ to see how you are doing. This will give you confidence. Find a good thin blanket to cover up with. The nursing tanks are amazing. They cover your belly while you nurse. Get a couple if you plan on being in public much.

I go out all the time and nurse (resturants, stores, my car) and no one has more than glanced in my direction. Just know that it is the best thing for you and your baby and most people don't pay attention. If it becomes an issue for you, try pumping and using a bottle in public. After a month or two, your baby will fairly predictable on feedings. You really just have to make it to that point!

Good luck!
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• P.S. People should know better than to mess with a mom, anyways. You'll see. = )
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011