Soda: Yes or No?

Do you give your kids soda?

My son is almost 3 yrs old, and has not has soda, but I have a friend whose 2 yr old gets a few sips of Coke after dinner! I've asked her about it, but she got upset so I didn't push it any further. What do you think?

http://www.circleofmoms.com/thread.php?entity_id=1&entity_type=Y&thread_id=613705

Vivi.C.

Asked by Vivi.C. at 8:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• My kids did not really get soda until like 4 or 5 and still not alot.
    dancinintherain

Answer by dancinintherain at 8:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have given my 3 year old soda once in awhile. It's usually a treat and usually only Sprite.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My kids are almost 6 and 4 and have never had soda. We don't drink it either, so its never in the house. At kid parties, or when we visit family etc., they choose water, milk or juice.
    gramsmom

Answer by gramsmom at 8:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Nope, and I don't let him go to my mom's house if I'm not there because she thinks it's 'cute' to give him soda and coffee..
    Raccoon

Answer by Raccoon at 8:11 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• @raccoon - your mom gives your son coffee? wow! does it make him sick?
    Vivi.C.

Comment by Vivi.C. (original poster) at 8:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• As a treat, sure. And I don't freak out if they get sips from other people or have a can at a party.
    My dad got into the habit of giving my youngest dd the last sips of his Diet Pepsi (which, by then, would be seriously watered down from all the ice in it). But then she got to stealing full cans he would pop open in his room so he quit all together, lol. When she was about 3 I started this thing where when my can (Diet Dr. Pepper) got to the last little sip I'd give it to her and she'd finish it off and put it in the recycling. She still asks me if I'm done with my soda or not (she's almost 5 now). But otherwise they don't drink it at home unless it's a super big treat. They can order it when we are out to eat once they are about 4 (although most of them still chose juice/milk until they are 8 and then rarely choose soda).
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:13 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• pop and only weekends and special occasions. and mine are now teenagers
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 8:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My DD is 3 and my DS is 10 and they get soda on a fairly regular basis. I only drink diet, so they only drink diet since that is all that is ever in the house.

Honestly, I think in moderation - meaning, not every day, every meal - soda is not going to hurt them any. My kids drink milk at breakfast, lunch and dinner.
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 8:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my son is almost 3 and he doesnt really get pop. he maybe gets a sip or 2 from me or his gpa..but its not an everyday thng. and it def isnt caffinated! his gpa sneaks him a few sips of his diet coke-gross!
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Pop in our house is seltzer with fruit juice in it... They don't get sugared pop.
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011