Me and my brother got into a heated argument over cooking....

So I'm making meatloaf and he sees the way I'm chopping some peppers and onions, and notices that I just combined it into the meat. This drives him crazy as he is a chef and likes to make a production out of everything he cooks. I love my dear brother but he always wants to put his two cents in, when it is not welcomed. Anyway he told me that my meatloaf would come out crappy because i did not take the time to saute it. Any how I just wasn't in the mood to do it his way. He tells me that I am close minded and unwilling to try new things. What ever, I didn't ask for his input. On top of that he gets all loud and curses me out, on top of all this my mom jumps in and says he's right. Who cares I'm the one who is cooking I didn't ask for anyone's input. Am I wrong for having this attitude, I just wasn't in the mood to do what he wanted me do. Petty but so annoying 8{

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Relationships

• you put peppers in meatloaf? I have never heard of that. I would just tell him to back off.
    gulfcoastmom4

Answer by gulfcoastmom4 at 8:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Sorry, but your brother is right. If you don't want to take the time to do it the right way (which makes an incredible difference), then why bother?
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 8:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I know that i can be stubborn as my brother can be pushy with his beliefs. I wasn't in the mood to listen, the meatloaf came out good my kids loved it. I just hate the fact that he can be so pushy when he cooks. I respect his craft but I'm the one who is cooking and if i don't ask for input ...pls back off.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 8:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• And your question is???
    Apparently you can't take constructive criticism.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 8:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It sound to me like he is the one who is closed minded. As a chef he should know that other chefs cook differently then he does and to make such a statement that your way is wrong and would come out crappy shows that he is a bit too controlling. Some people don't use peppers, some don't saute them, some don't put them in the meat itself. My point is if he can't adapt to others way of doing thing then what type of chef does that make him? He learned from someone but that does not make them right and every other chef wrong.
    Cheveyo1

Answer by Cheveyo1 at 8:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It seems to me that both of your are complaining at the mirrors of yourselves. He's pushy, you're stubborn --you're pushy, he's stubborn. So?

When he tells you the information he has, is there some physical impediment you have in your body that stops you from saying 'thank you, I didn't know that' and then shut up and do whatever you were doing the way you want to?

Where do you get the idea that either or you need to convince the other that you're right? Or even that you can?

Let it go, man. He's an adult with his own opinions. So are you. When you learn to respect that of yourself, you can respect it of others.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'm with you OP. BTW, I put mine straight in to the meat for years because that's how my mother and grandmother did it. He needs to learn the art of tact and back off. Your Mom isn't helping by taking sides. If he can't deal with the way you're doing it..then I would tell him to back off or do it himself.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 8:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You are not wrong in the least. It's YOUR way of doing things. Tell him his "2 cents" is not needed. :)
    khf22

Answer by khf22 at 8:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The rule in this house is, if you don't like the way I am cooking something, you are welcome to make your own meal.

I would have told your brother to piss off and to make his own damn meatloaf.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 8:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i would just say from now on - brother cooks... i woudlnt subject myself to that again!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 8:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011