My 3 1/2 month old is dying to roll over - she gets halfway there, on her side and her face is down but she can't make it fully on her stomach....she starts crying out of frustration, but more upsetting is that I'm worried she is going to suffocate in the crib face down if she succeeds in flipping over. Any advice??

hg216

Asked by hg216 at 8:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If she can roll over, she probably has the neck strength to lift her head.
    Jademom07

Answer by Jademom07 at 8:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It is extremely difficult for humans (even when completely unconscious) to be able to suffocate on a flat surface.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 8:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• try helping pushing her very gently when you see she tries to roll over, then clap and tell her she did a good job then kiss her, she will know its good what she did and she will try harder next time because she know she has your support, its scary for babies to roll over bc its new to them and dont know what to expect. as of sufocating in her crib, i put 2 rolled up sheets one on each side so when she does try to roll she wont be able to, but check for them not to slide or she could suffocate with the sheets.
    ariadnebila

Answer by ariadnebila at 8:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You don't need to worry about that. She will turn her head to the side and be fine. She may feel stuck and yell at you though!
    But_Mommie

Answer by But_Mommie at 8:35 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Turning over is a good thing and as the other moms said if she has the stregnth to turn over she can move her head...you not going to stop her from rolling at night its a fact of life.
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 9:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• From my experience she will cry and scream for you to come roll her back over and not suffocate. It will be a long couple of weeks for you. :) If it makes you feel better why dont you put one of those infant support things in her crib so she cant roll over.
    new_mom808

Answer by new_mom808 at 9:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my baby is having the same problem. my mom got this mat its called tummy time its like a wedge you put your baby on, they lay on there tummy on a slight incline and makes the baby work to strenghten her arms and neck there are toys on it and a mirror to keep them interested my daughter loves it you can also try sitting them on a boppy like that with there upper body on it and there legs and hips on the floor so theyre on an incline it really seems to be helping my daughter can now support her self on her elbows and has much more head and neck control
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 10, 2011