Would you take this as an insult or not?

A local radio host called the students in my dau's school district "little monkeys" A lot of parents are calling this a racial slur. Well, not all kids in the district are non-white. I think it could have been taken as calling the students animals. Which was still a poor choice of words. But then I think of the childhood counting song about "little monkeys jumpin' on the bed, one fell off & bonked his head...." So maybe it was not meant as an insult at all. What do you think about this?

mrsmom110

Asked by mrsmom110 at 8:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I call my kids "monkeys"---my older son is my "spunky monkey," my younger son is my "chunky monkey" and my hubby is my "hunky monkey!" LOL :o)
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 9:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think people nowadays are WAY too sensitive for NO reason. It has come to the point that I am always scared that I am going to offend someone just by saying something completely innocent. I NEVER mean to hurt anyone's feelings, but it seems that EVERYTHING can be twisted now.

I agree!! I am to the point now that I no longer care if someone finds what I say and think as offensive. It is starting to be offensive to me that people are able to control what I think, say and do by simply stating that they are offended by me! I am believing more and more everyday that my right to live my life as me is a little more important to me than other people believing they have the right to try and make me conform to living my life as they believe it should be lived! You have a right to your opinions and you have a right to feel offended by me but, I have a right to no longer want to hear about them or care to to change for you!
    goodwitch399

Answer by goodwitch399 at 2:17 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• OMG, NOT an insult.... My daughter IS a little Monkey... She can climb the Army bootcamp ropes= little monkey!!!
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Some people are just a little too sensitive...I call children monkeys all the time, It's like you said with the monkeys on the bed....
    Finkette

Answer by Finkette at 8:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Some people just require attention at all time so, they say they are insulted by whatever. My sister calls my kids monkeys all the time.
    matthewscandi

Answer by matthewscandi at 9:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son, affectionately called "Monkey Boy" doesn't think it's an insult. He wears the name like a badge of honor as it symbolizes his innate ability to scale ANYTHING!
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No. When I tell my kids, or any kids, they are jumping around like monkeys.....it is about behavior. I never even considered - ever- that anyone would turn that into something racial. I tell my granddaughter she was chattering away like a little monkey. There will come a time that we can't say anything without clearing it with some speech monitor like a breathalyser on a car you have to breathe in to get it to start. You have to speak into the box and get your words approved and then you are allowed to talk to someone.
    jesse123456

Answer by jesse123456 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Kids love monkeys, I never met a kid yet that did not like to be called a monkey.

Now my baby brother I did keep him in a cage and feed him bananas, but I will save that for another time.

Natesmom507

Answer by Natesmom507 at 10:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Of course not ..lol 'little monkeys' to me means curious and sometimes rambunctious.I am offended by the overly offended.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 5:57 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think people need thicker skin, and need to get over alot of shit these days.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:46 AM on Jan. 11, 2011