What is the Rapture?

I've never really understood this term. Would someone explain it to me?
My MIL talks about it...but doesn't ever really explain it fully...but will drop the word now and again.
Sorry if this is another one of those questions lol
AND PLEASE NOTE: THIS WASN'T LISTED IN DEBATE! LOL

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Religion & Beliefs

• I know you do not intend for it to be a debate but you know it will be.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• In all seriousness....I just want peoples' definitions of it. I don't want people to fight over a definition.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I know OP and I hope you get the answers you want. I am watching for the answers myself.
    zebbiebug

Answer by zebbiebug at 9:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rapture
    MichaelsMom330

Answer by MichaelsMom330 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The Rapture is when Christ returns to remove his children from this world, before the end of the world begins.
    asmcbride

Answer by asmcbride at 9:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The rapture is when Jesus Christ comes back those who have accepted Him as their Lord and Savior and the beginning of the Tribulation when those who are left behind will have to deal with several judgments from the Lord. In the end Jesus Christ will again return to earth, defeat Satan, and set up His Kingdom on earth for 1000 years.

This is just a summary of what the Bible says and I believe no details. The book of Revelations in the Bible goes into great detail of the Rapture.
    alliesmom112

Answer by alliesmom112 at 9:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The History Channel Program on the Rapture

It is interesting but not sure of its accuracy.  Scary music included. 

2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It is an theory created by Presbyterian minister Edward Irving in the mid-1820s. The word "rapture" is not in the bible. While there are desciptions of followers being "caught up in the air" and taken to heaven, it doesn't specify whether this will be before or AFTER Jesus has returned. There is much evidence for it being a man-made creation to inspire hopeful feelings of avoiding the tribulation in christians, and not necessarily a biblical one.
    witchqueen

Answer by witchqueen at 12:07 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• It's true that the word "rapture" is not in the Bible, it is just a term used to describe when the angels will come to gather the Believers...

"And he shall send his angels with a great sound of a trumpet, and they shall gather together his elect from the four winds, from one end of heaven to the other." Matthew 24:23-31

1 Thessalonians 4:17 Then we which are alive and remain shall be caught up together with them in the clouds, to meet the Lord in the air: and so shall we ever be with the Lord.
    The Institute for Creation Research has a good description - http://www.icr.org/bible/1Thessalonians/4/17

the_kimmers

Answer by the_kimmers at 6:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Rapture is mentioned in the Bible. There are a couple of verses about a few pure males being taken up to the throne of God and singing his praises there. You can look it up in a Biblical concordance.
    lilangilyn

Answer by lilangilyn at 7:17 AM on Jan. 16, 2011