Why Chinese Mothers Are Superior ~ Thoughts?

I know it's a little bit of a read; I'm sorry - but when I read it some points really made sense and some sort of didn't; at least to me...I'm curious what other Mom's (of any race/culture) think about this article and maybe even about how American parenting styles differ from other's around the world (I know we have some International Momma's around) & is it really worse or just 'different'?

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052748704111504576059713528698754.html

beachmamaof2

Asked by beachmamaof2 at 9:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 9:21 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• that's not my definition of superior. It's their business, but I feel sorry for those kids.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 9:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Honestly, I could never do that to my child. Will my child ever be a music or math prodigy? Probably not, but I wouldn't trade the smile on his face after his first sleep over or the happy memories of him making his first friend while I become friends with other moms for it. There are more important things in life (imo) than to be the best at something.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My kids are in class right now as I type. They have a honest to goodness high school class that goes from 5-8pm twice a month. My dd is starting college in the Spring, one course on top of her high school schedule. Who took that survey, when and where and who?
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 9:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• To each their own.... My kids are smart, athletic, creative, and successful.... My brother's wife is Japanese, and she has a different parenting style than we have in our home, but not as regimented as the Chinese family in OP.. Different strokes for different folks.. ;o)
    grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 9:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• ohmy......so these kids dont ever get to be kids. I think that is sad.
    LuvMyMedic3ID

Answer by LuvMyMedic3ID at 9:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• "It's their business, but I feel sorry for those kids." by: autodidact

*****

Thx
    That was sort of my initial reaction too but then as I read it occurred to me the author is saying "they" sort of feel the same way about "us".... Which made me stop for a minute & why I wanted to get other opinions about what you ladies all think/feel when you read it...

Disclaimer: * very general use of 'they' & 'us' *
    beachmamaof2

Comment by beachmamaof2 (original poster) at 9:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I read this article earlier in the day. My coworker sent it to me and she was fired up. I think "chinese mothering" - defined loosely by the author (the mom doesn't have to be Chinese, it could be a westerner who adhere to the same theory/practice) is more likely to produce academically superior children for sure, however, it is less likely to produce independent thinkers and leaders...
    Olivia4116

Answer by Olivia4116 at 10:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My kids both play multiple instruments and do very well in school. We had to push them to practice when they were younger, but now they love to play and they hold their own in groups with adults. They play some Nintendo and watch a little TV too. We all make our own decisions about what we want for our children. There isn't one, right way. What works in one family would be a disaster in another. We also can't honestly understand the family dynamics in another culture. Chinese mothers are ideal in China. Children of 1st generation immigrants tend to do very well in school in America and become quite successful. 2nd generation kids are just like all the rest of American kids.
    Marwill

Answer by Marwill at 10:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think it is wrong to take childhood away from any child ~ whether it is done by insisting on such a strict regimen or by a pedophile. Children learn by playing and it is healthy for them.

That being said, there are a lot of children who are left completely to their own devices. They spend their toddler years either in daycare or hanging out while mom plays on the computer. Many get home from school and spend hours alone while both parents are at work. Many end up involved with drugs and/or gangs, pregnant, etc. because no one bothers to pay attention or be involved in their lives.

There is a fine line that has to be walked. Kids SHOULD be taught to be competitive and to excel, as well as how to care for others. Play time and family time should be a very important part of their young lives as well as learning good study habits. No parent is perfect and Chinese moms are not superior. Mostly that article made me sad.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2011