Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

1 Bump

panicking...electric is getting cut off

I lost my job in September and have made all my bills on time until now. I have an eviction notice and an electricity cut off notice. I am lost. I have never asked for help before and am planning on calling social services in the AM. I am due to be cut off on the 20th and DH doesn't get paid again until the 21st. We spent most of our money this last paycheck on groceries, meds for our 6yo, gas money for DH to get to work, and some of our back rent. I don't think our W2s will be in yet to file for our tax money. Just stressed. Any ideas? Electric company is unwilling to work with us unless we come up with 171 and we only have 50 left in our account. We have no family or friends that would be willing to help (we tried).


Asked by Anonymous at 9:23 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

This question is closed.
Answers (11)
  • Your local churches will help with some money for electric bills,check it out do not be afraid every one needs help now and then.DHS should be able to help with a utility check averages around 350 per month.Its made out to your power company.the locla health dept should be able to offer assistance to you in the form of all benefits,from ebt checks,food stamps,medicaid,and help with rent checks ask them they know the programs.Be sur eto take all needed info ;proof of incme,proof of residency and id for you and husband.Take last years tax statement.Good Luck dear.

    Answer by grismelda at 4:47 PM on Jan. 13, 2011

  • Depending on the state its illegal to cut off the power if there's children in the home. At lease that's how it is here. Have you tried to call and make payment arrangements?

    Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • You have more than a week, is there anything you can sell to come up with the 171? Everyone else made great suggestions. Good luck at social services tomorrow. I wish you well.

    Answer by keisha613 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • You need to file for government assistence. That includes Food Stamps, WIC, and bill assistence with your electric and possibly rent. Go to your local government's website and contact your local DHS department. They can help you get all of the services that you need to stay afloat. Do this immediately as they can help you right away if you're in dire need.

    Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 9:30 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Check your state's website. In some states it's illegal for them to turn off electricity or heat in the winter months, but they don't tell you that unless you flat out ask about the law, because who would pay if they did? If you're not in one of those states, the website should still have resources to help you find local agencies or state programs that can help with emergency funds.

    Answer by NotPanicking at 9:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Yes I have tried. I need to make a minimum of 171, the total due is over 500. They can't shut it off if we have a young child but our are 6 and 7 and it is completely legal here to shut us off. I don't even have a place to stay if they shut it off. I have never been in this situation before. My parents pay for my internet because I am in school and need it for some of my classes. They won't help me any more than that even though they are perfectly able to.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Call DSS they should be able to help you find resources to help with your rent or electric bill or both, also check into the salvation army..and yes what the above said is true. In my state if there is a senior citizen or a child under the age of 5 in the home they cannot cut off electricity in your home in extreme weather conditions! So look that up and call em on it! Tell em they will get some money from you on such and such date and stick to it! but send them something! That way it looks like your putting forth effort! GL!

    Answer by sweetstkissez22 at 9:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Thank you so much for your answers. I will drive to social services after the kids go to school tomorrow.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:31 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • Yes I do have stuff I can sell. I can also get a car title loan, considering I can pay it off in less than a month when our taxes come in.

    Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

  • go to social services in the morning. be sure to take all your bills, proof of rent, with your address on it. photo id, ss card. apply for emergency stuff. not sure how it is done where u are, but this is a start for you. also, churches will help out. call a catholic church, tell them your situation and most of the they have a system for "poor" families to help. they have a phone chain they call and get donations. so start there. good luck! and if you cry enough, they may pay your back rent also!

    Answer by mama2bof2 at 7:22 PM on Jan. 11, 2011