Maybe it's time for some unity?!

What do you THINK you understand, truly, about others with different beliefs? What do you respect about others with different beliefs?

I understand that not ALL christians are extreme in their views...in fact the majority are not that way at all. i understand the love they have for their lord and their desire to share it with others.
I respect their faith and how personal it is for most.

How about you?

sahmamax2

Asked by sahmamax2 at 9:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Religious Debate

• I respect others beliefs by keeping my mouth shut. I will never bash one's beliefs and I hope they respect my lack of beliefs.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I understand that no one ever gets up in the morning thinking 'how can I screw up my life today?'

I know that everyone on the planet has a collection of pressures, demands, needs and distractions going on in their head ALL the time. How different people handle that collection of stresses varies tremendously, but everyone has them.

I know that no one ever moves from a defensive position. There is no less effective method of influencing people than first telling them that they're wrong or stupid or crazy.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:10 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Respect reflects respect. I may not understand but I will NEVER mock and it does not mean that I am close minded.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 10:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have great respect for a lot of Atheists because many of them are very smart, and didn't arrive at the opinion that there is no God lightly, but many have more knowledge of different religions including Christianity than people actually in the religions.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 10:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Linda - you spoke the very words in my heart!

As a Christian, I'm pretty pretty informal about the expression of my faith. I don't have church membership, and I don't always go to the same church, and I don't always go to church. I'm ok with that. Also, being an American where Christianity is still quite mainstream, I don't find it difficult to be a Christian. So, I am so very impressed by those of other faiths who take specific time out of their days to pray - even at work. I'm impressed by those whose faiths mark them quite different from the mainstream by normal daily activities like what they eat and wear.
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 10:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• We all have our own unique feelings about faith and religion. I do not really think about it . Its not my business.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 11:18 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Religion, politics and parenting are all beliefs. I personally feel that beliefs are not something that can necessarily be changed. I respect others views on all three of these things, but don't necessarily agree. What I don't respect is someone pushing their beliefs down my throat. In our house we tend not to get into discussions about these 3 topics because they are always going to be debated, possibly to the point of fights, and hurt feelings.
    stephgood1

Answer by stephgood1 at 11:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Unity?
    Good Luck with that.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 6:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I respect everyone equally unless they give me a reason not to. Their beliefs have nothing to do with it.
    popzaroo

Answer by popzaroo at 10:49 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• "Unity?
    Good Luck with that. "

It's a shame you feel that way. And that you choose not to see it or put effort into it.
    sahmamax2

Comment by sahmamax2 (original poster) at 10:52 AM on Jan. 11, 2011