pleading insanity?

Ok im sorry but i dont think people should be able to plead insanity when in trouble for something they did. Obviously your insane for going and shooting up a school, or a congress meeting. Obviously your insane if you can kidnap a young child and rape and murder them, so on and so on. So why should they get the right to say they are insane just so they get off alittle easier. It takes a person who is insane to do those things. I believe they should face the death penalty or sit in prison the rest of there life not be able to sit in a physc ward because they wana play the im "insane" card. Am i unreasonable? or do you think like me?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Politics & Current Events

• I think you're right. The question is, really, is jail the best place for any criminal? If so, why? Why not consider everyone --especially the chronically criminal-- insane, because the behaviour is clearly not sane in any standard meaning of the word.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Most of the time, you have to prove you are (or were) insane at the time you committed the crime. You can't just plead insane and you get off or have a reduced sentence. There is a process to it.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 10:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• well no prison isnt the right place for all of them i believe most of them should face the death penalit honestly. I dont think people like that can be rehabed. Sorry but i dont.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:34 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think they proved they are insane when they did what they did.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 10:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I do believe anyone can be rehabilitated.... with right treatment.. thing is so many treat this stuff with medicine and psychological mumbo jumbo... when more often than not its spiritual.

There are people who kill that know exactly what they are doing and those that kill not realizing what they are doing is wrong...in this case schizophrenic behavior where they are listening to voices which are demonic telling them what to do. These kinds of people really believe this and yes demons can speak in those voices. This is what I believe that killer in AZ was under the power of a strong demonic force and they feel out of control. This is an example of an extreme case. Yes they need to do time but more importantly they need to be freed from this bondage and only one can free them.
    I do not expect anyone to agree but I have seen mentally ill people come back to their right mind after being delivered and freed from the prison
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• of the dark forces that were controlling them. The key is wanting to be free. Thats all I can say about this. There is a whole lot more too it and doesnt need to be said here :-)
    Shaneagle777

Answer by Shaneagle777 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I think its a credible defense but shouldnt affect their sentence.

However, I think its overused anymore therefore it invalidates it a lot imo.
    Amaranth361

Answer by Amaranth361 at 12:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I thought that the only way someone could be insane is if they are declared incompetent. Or would this be considered two different things? I also thought that they changed it to .....guilty but insane, instead of not guilty by the reason of insanity.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I feel very sorry for anyone in your family diagnosed with a mental illness, you have very little knowledge or understanding, and you obviously don't desire any.
    Piskie

Answer by Piskie at 3:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I think most people who commit violent crimes are crazy but not insane. I think paranoid schizophrenia is a serious mental condition that does distort reality for the people who have it. I think they should be found guilty, but insane. They are still very dangerous if they have committed violent crimes in the past and should be away from the public.  Mental illness can be very serious, but not treated very well in this country.  Many people are ignored until something bad happens.

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:46 AM on Jan. 11, 2011