Amenorrhea- please help.

I had my daughter 9 months ago. I had to get a blood patch in my spine due to a bad epidural. For the first 2 months of her life, I had my period regularly. After that inital 2 months, I quit smoking cold turkey. I have not had my period since! My OB/GYN wants to put me on hormones, but I have a very sensitive system and GAD (Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and the hormones will cause panic attacks and such. I know most women are thrilled not to have Aunt Flo visiting monthtly, but my body...my poor body would give anything to go back to normal! Is there anyone out there who has went through this? Any suggestions to bring on my period? Any suggestions on suggesting for my period?

Thank you!

indigomoon04

Asked by indigomoon04 at 10:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Health

• I'm not sure what your dr. says is best for your situation.....but I've had irregular periods for a while now and my dr put me on birth control. I know that it isn't good to let that lining in your uterus (what gets shed every month w/ the period) stay in there for months and months. That continuous thickening can lead to overgrowth and set you up for a precancerous situation. Supposedly the birth control helps regulate everything and keep the periods coming every month. Have you had significant weight loss? Sometimes that can keep your periods away. Your dr will have to decide whats best for you with the GAD and everything though.
    Mama2twins05

Answer by Mama2twins05 at 12:45 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I would often go 5 months without a period. My doctors freaked at this so they tested me and hormonally, my body was doing what it was supposed to but I wasn't shedding any blood. The concern became that I would develop endometriosis SO every 2 months, if I didn't get my period, they would do a blood test to confirm I wasn't pregnant and then they prescribed something (I don't recall the name) which would cause the blood to flow. HOWEVER, I never felt comfortable with it because on the off chance I got pregnant, the medicine was known to cause birth defects. I gave it up and at some point, my periods came back. That was 20+ years so not sure what the options are today. Keep researching though and don't necessarily go with what your first doc tells you. I'm in the opposite situation now (regular but bleed so heavily that I can't leave the toilet, let alone the house) and what my docs are offering aren't real options, imo
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Eat and drink fresh beets and beet juice. About three cups a day until the flow begins.
    A foot bath in hot water has been said to start a late cycle.
    Add 1 tablespoon of basil to a cup of boiling water. Let it steep for five minutes. Strain and drink.
    In a circular motion, massage below the outer and inner ankle of each foot, as well as the outer and inner of each wrist. If there is tenderness when you rub those areas, you're in the right place. Keep massaging until the tenderness is gone.
    Ginger Tea can also help stimulate the onset of a cycle.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:53 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• First of all CONGRATS for quitting, it is not easy, good for you.

Not to be too personal, but how old are you? Does your doc think this is early menopause or an imbalance? Did they do any blood or urine testing to eliminate other causes? Were you/are you nursing (it can be normal to miss periods while nursing?!?) And, not to freak you out, but could you be pregnant?!? Hopefully your OB-GYN has checked but I am very wary of hormone therapy, it contributed to my Mom's aggressive ovarian cancer (no family history, no other risk factors), which took her life at age 62. So I'd definitely want to know #1 what is going on overall, not just mask the cause, #2 could some other factor be causing multiple symptoms and the hormone tweaking would only treat symptoms.

Foot massage / reflexology is a good idea too.
    tigrefan98

Answer by tigrefan98 at 8:30 PM on Jan. 12, 2011