When did ur child start using a fork and spoon?

my hubby bought some little forks and spoons for our dd, it made me laugh since she isnt even one yet and she thinks they are toys! when did ur child start using forks and spoons?

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 10:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• Your husband did a good thing by getting her the fork and spoon set. She can learn how to hold and use them and eventually be able to do so on her own. Teach her how to hold them, how to bring them to her mouth and pick up food with them. By 2, she should be able to use atleast the spoon on her own.

I had the thought that my son is 14 yrs old and still uses his fingers instead of his fork...drives me nuts.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• No idea. We gave our kids utensils pretty much from the time they were able to hold them. At first, of course, they would (and my 20-month-old still does) hold the spoon/fork with one hand and eat the food with the other, but the gave way to picking up the food and putting it on the spoon/fork, to eventually eating with the spoon/fork. I would guess with my first that he started actually eating with his spoon/fork when he was about 2-ish. But any practice she gets can only be good. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My son is 16m old and does not use it by himself.
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• tyfry7496- lol thanks!!
    Caroline2010

Comment by Caroline2010 (original poster) at 11:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011