Listen to your gut & follow your instincts as a mom

This is just a heads up to all moms not to take anything for granted. Trust your instincts.

Not hours ago my 2 kids were in the bedroom playing when my daughter started coughing. I knew she didn't have a cold so I ran in there,,,,,, she was choking. She had put one of the magnetic letters in her mouth and was gagging on it. I tried using my finger to get it but between biting me and squirming I couldn't get it. I called my DH, who tried to pat her back to get it out. He took over trying to get it and I called 911. Just as I came back into the room he was able to get it out and I told the operator that we would take her in not to send the ambulance. I mean in less than 2 minutes I was on the phone with 911 and on the brim of freaking out. For the next 20 minutes I didn't let her leave my side. Tonight they will both sleep with me in my bed. We're going to her ped. tomorrow and have him look at her throat. Also tomorrow I'm going through their toys and ANYTHING that small is being taken away. From the magnetic letters and shapes to the matchboxes.

I asked my DH later didn't he hear her coughing? He said yeah but he didn't think anything of it. Please, please, please don't assume that it's nothing but the kids playing. I couldn't say anything. I didn't know what to say to him. Just listen and react when you hear something that's not right.

I'm posting this as a PSA to moms & not to get bashed for letting them have the letters in the first place. I already feel bad for having bought them. She's going on 4 and has never put anything in her mouth before and I never expected she would start doing it now. Thanks

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in General Parenting

• God Bless your dd and thanks for the post/info
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 10:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• omg glad she is ok. im so glad that u went in there. dd (2) is always putting things in her mouth i am constily picking it all up
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 10:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Glad she is ok.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I am happy she is ok:) That is quite scary!!!! My 6 yr old hit her head when she was 1 and she actually was knocked out to the point I thought she was dying! It was so scary...The 911 operator told me to put her down but I could not because in my mind these may be my last moments with her. She was thankfully ok and had a concussion.....
    hill2

Answer by hill2 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Glad everyone's OK! But please, for future refernce: DO NOT pat someone on the back when they're choking! This can actually lodge the object further in the throat, making it more difficult to get out or to get air.

I really urge EVERYONE to get CPR/First Aid certified for just this reason!
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 11:09 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Hugs mommy! Even when we do all we can to keep our kids safe and well things tend to happen....I have taken CPR/FIRST AID since having kids and retake it every two years and I hate the thought of not noing how to handle things that I should beable to, gives me a piece of mind.
    Suzie2mom

Answer by Suzie2mom at 11:16 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'm sorry you and your family had to deal with this. I appreciate your posting. My son is almost 3 and still puts a lot of stuff in his mouth. Your post made me think long and hard about the stuff my son has available to him. I am going to go through his stuff tonight. Thank you again!
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 11:20 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I'm so glad everything turned out okay. Trust your instincts, always. You should tell your husband to check in on them every once in a while.

A friend of my mother's grandson had a walnut stuck in his throat one time they got him to the hospital. The doctor told them that he couldn't get it out that it would require a miracle to get it out. They started a prayer chain. A couple of minutes later, the parents went back into the room and the walnut laid beside him. That was quite a miracle!
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 1:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Thank goodness she is ok and you are okay! Im pretty sure she is glade mommy came in when you did and for that "you are a great mommy"
    premiemom18

Answer by premiemom18 at 4:34 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• THANK GOD YOU LISTENED TO YOUR INSTINCTS AND SHES OK. IM ALWAYS QUESTIONING MY DAUGHTERS WHERE ARE THE KIDS WHEN THEY GET QUIET. KIDS ARE NATURALLY CURIOUS. I MY DAUGHTER ACCIDENTLY SWOLLED A SCREW AT FOUR . SHE THOUGHT IT WAS HER FINGER THATS WHAT MY HUSBAND SAID . WE NATURALLY TOOK HER TO THE ER AND SURE ENOUGH ON THE X-RAY WAS A PIC OF THE SCREW. THEY SAID SHE SHOULD PASS IT. SHE DID LATER. NO MATTER WHERE I PUT STUFF HIGH ON A SHELF SHE ALWAYS FOUND AWAY TO GET T IT. SHES A MOM NOW WITH TWO BOYS WHO ARE ALL BOY BOTH PLAYE D FOOTBALL LAST YEAR. THEY ARE SO ACTIVE AND CURIOUS
    stressedoutgran

Answer by stressedoutgran at 4:35 AM on Jan. 11, 2011