37 Weeks and NOT DIALATING!

Im 37 weeks, having the worst time breathing! I can't even wash my hair without feeling like im out of breathe and literally gasping for air. This is my first pregnancy, im due jan. 30th. And anxiously awaiting the arrival of my son. The doctor says that he's perfect size, not too big not too small. But i'm beginning to believe he's WRONG! I don't think he's dropped into my pelvic area either. (He's definitely head down). The doctor said he's going to induce me on the 24th if i start to dialate at all. Any tips on how to start dialating? I don't find walking, or anything to be helpful.
P.s, i've been feel period like cramps.. Not on my belly like where you'd button your pants. They come and go, sometimes with a bit of pressure, sometimes just cramping.

sbushman13011

Asked by sbushman13011 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You are only 37 weeks. We all went through what you are experiencing . It is uncomfritable,but that is not an excuse for waanting your labor to start NOW. Please be patient and wait 3 more weeks. It is for your baby's sake. Don't rush. If the baby is born a few weeks early there is no way that it can be guaranteed that he is ready and he might suffer from complications. HIS health is more important than your discomfort.
    kerp1960

Answer by kerp1960 at 10:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Don't get discouraged. At my last appointment at 39.5 weeks, I was dilated to "maybe a 1" (not at all before then), not effaced, baby was still high, etc., and I still managed to go into labor naturally 3 days later. "Progress" means nothing, and the numbers aren't necessary at all except in determining likely success of induction.

And I've never heard of anything that works consistently to help dilation. You won't be pregnant forever, I promise. :)
    DragonRiderMD

Answer by DragonRiderMD at 10:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Babies will come when they are ready.... the fact that you are not dialated doesn't mean a whole lot some women walk around for weeks at 2-3 cm. Others go to the Dr are closed up and have a baby that night. I know you get to the point where you are just DONE you want it to be over but it will be over soon!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 10:52 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• With my most recent delivery, I was dilated to maybe a 1 at my appointment. Went into labor the next day and had her in 5 hours. Definitely convinced dilation means nothing. As long as baby's moving ok, just let her finish cooking!
    MommytoE522

Answer by MommytoE522 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You are only 37 weeks... not that uncommon, it could be weeks until baby comes
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 10:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I had my son 3 years ago, I went in the day before my due date, the doc said I was not dilated or effaced AT ALL. I was devastated, needless to say, as I didn't want to go any longer being pregnant. I spent the next day walking, and that night around 8pm I got the WORST pain you could ever feel in your life. I was convinced it was back labor, and when I called to tell my doctor, I had to speak with the doc on call,who told me it sounded like my symptoms were not back labor, but kidney stones. I told him he was crazy, and eventually, after I couldn't take the constant pain anymore, my husband took me to the hospital around 2am.After I got there, the nurse monitored me and sure enough, I had kidney stones from too much calcium/my son kicking me in the kidney. They gave me morphine and the next morning my doc came in and induced me since it was past my DD... the point is.. anything can happen, he will come when he is ready!
    Stephie999

Answer by Stephie999 at 12:44 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• What do you want out of your birth experience?
    Do you want what is safest & healthiest?
    Or most convenient?
    A cesarean?
    Or to avoid an unnecessary cesarean?

From this post, it looks like maybe you might not too informed about labor.
    There is plenty of help, info, and encouragement available!
    :-)

doulala

Answer by doulala at 1:49 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• The end of pregnancy is uncomfortable and downright painful sometimes that is how it is, remember that we have to make sacrifices for the sake of our children and in this case it is his health at stake the brain development that he is undergoing for the next month is crucial his brain will double in size, and at this point his lungs may not be ready either. Are you ok with inducing labor and ending up with a c-section because your body and baby were not ready? Are you ok with your baby having to spend time in the NICU because he was not ready to be born? These are things you have to think about. It isn't about you it is about the baby, very few people enjoy the end of pregnancy but it will end eventually..
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:21 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Unless there is medical necessity, don't induce. The cramps you feel are most likely beginning contractions to start dialation. There's still plenty of time to dialate. I know it sucks, but you are not in control at this point. You HAVE to let nature take it's course. From the sound of it your doctor is wanting to induce you for his/her convenience. As long as baby is not in danger there is NO reason to do it. Due dates are estimates that can be off two weeks in either direction. Know the risks of induction before you go through with it. If you feel it's right for you then go for it. Good luck!!
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:38 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I forgot to mention that i do have Chronic Hypertension, and my blood pressure hasn't been stable for the past 2 months. All through december i was in the hospital with very high blood pressure.
    sbushman13011

Comment by sbushman13011 (original poster) at 10:40 AM on Jan. 11, 2011