When is it ok to give him more?

My son is 7 weeks old. He has been eating 4 oz since week 2.. but he still acts hungry sometimes when he finishes his bottle. not everytime but often...and he eats every 2 oz. I have been giving him 6 oz at night. A friend of mine has a 10 month... well now 11 month old who olny eats 8 oz. but he only gets 3 bottles a day since he is on solid foods now. I know they dont start eating baby foods until 3 or 4 months.. but when can I start mixing rice in his bottles? He is on Similac sensitve for spit up which already has some rice in the formula..

Ross2010

Asked by Ross2010 at 10:48 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Don't put cereal in the bottle. On a spoon, fine but not in a bottle. My doctor recommends against cereal in a bottle. I think my kid is different because he was drinking 10-12 ounces every 2.5 hours by 3 weeks old. He was a PIG. It all depends on the child, every child is different. You can offer the extra 2 ounces and if he drinks it fine, if not, not a worry. Go by his cues.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:51 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• cereal in the bottle is a no no. You shouldn't start cereal until at least 4 months and when your dr okays it. Don't try to compare your baby to others, especially ones on solids. Your baby is an individual. If he is still hungry, then give him more. Just make sure you burp in between. It's better that he have bigger meals than "grazing" all day. He might be in a growth spurt. They never seem full for a day or two.
    bugfin

Answer by bugfin at 11:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• mom are going to tell you to not put cereal in the bottle. but personally i have and haven't had any probs. just dont put too much, it can be a choking hazzard. i put cereal in my sons bottle when he was about 5-6wks old. and also fed him cereal mixed with fruit before bed. he did fine with it and slept longer as well.
    youngmami07

Answer by youngmami07 at 11:08 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• You may be mistaking discomfort with hunger. A baby this age has a stomach about the same size as his fist. You'll notice that it's hard to imagine 4oz fitting into that space. Less to eat more often will solve that problem.

The reason you don't and should not put cereal into bottles is because cereal is virtually calorie-free, difficult to digest, and interferes with the carefully-arranged mixture of nutrients scientifically designed to meet the needs of human infants and to mimic mother's milk as closely as possible.

Mother's milk does not have cereal in it. And why would that be? Because human babies should not be eating refined cereals, period.

Pablums were invented when formulas were dangerous, to stop babies dying of malnutrition and kidney failure. Formulas today have (except for the kidney damage) fixed those problems.

Not all the babies on early formula died --many 'did fine'... some until decades later.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i think as parents we sometimes get so caught up in that 'next step" that we forget to enjoy the moment. Your son is only 7 weeks old. He will go through growth spurts where he acts like he can't get enough no matter how much you feed him. Let your baby be the guide as to when he's ready for solids--for instance by thrusting his tongue out so that he can swallow, or shows an avid interest in what you're eating.

You also can't compare your child point for point with another child. My son is only 16 months old, but is taller than his 2.5 year old cousin. I tried to start him on cereal at 4 months with no success, with the realization when he was 5 months old that he hated the stuff.

Enjoy these precious first few months because they go by so quickly. Don't worry about solid foods yet-- and if he seems hungry, offer more.
    Busimommi

Answer by Busimommi at 11:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• In addition to what these ladies said, cereal in a bottle is a choking hazard. The AAP doesn't recommend solids at all until at least 6 months. Even then, cereal is virtually void of nutrients, except iron if added. Veggies are a better way to start (like sweet potatoes). But again, not until 6 months. For now, feed him when he's hungry!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• At 7 weeks, he only needs an ounce or two max. His stomach is TINY. He needs a little bit of milk often. NOTHING in his bottle but milk. And NO food until AT LEAST 6 months.

Look at his fist...no more milk at one time than that.

If he were eating as nature intended, he would only get a tiny amount at a time and eat very often. Mimic nature and also make it hard for him to suck from the bottle.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• ok.. as nature intended.. nice snide remark! i had to quit breastfeeding due to a break out of shingles.. as for make it hard for him to suck the bottle.. he screamed and would stop eating if it was too hard..
    Ross2010

Comment by Ross2010 (original poster) at 11:44 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• BTW, the cereal isn't because it is a choking hazard...it's because babies are born with a leaky gut and cereal will sit in the stomach like a brick. It is WAY too harsh for them. Even formula is way too harsh. All the obesity, IBS and other issues that adults are having stems from too early introduction of food(especially White rice cereal). In fact, when he is 6 months, if you do want to give cereal, make you own brown rice cereal. Cook whole grain brown rice and process.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I wasn't being snarky, I was telling you that is how we are designed, and since you have to formula feed, do it like nature intends it. I formula fed my son.
    BradenIsMySon