Should i "shave" pubic hair prior to labor? adult content

Just a question i was curious about.. I heard that in the "olden" day's it was mandatory because it was prone to carrying bacteria & could cause an infection..

Thanks girls :)

sbushman13011

Asked by sbushman13011 at 10:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Pregnancy

• You don't have to. I couldn't see my "private area" let alone shave it. I couldn't even shave my legs the last month of my pregnancy and I had my son in July. My aunt shaved my legs for me before going in labor and the nurse shaved the top part of my privates when I had to have a c-section, otherwise they don't shave you.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• its not mandatory.. but I like my stuff trimmed so i made sure it was when i knew i was going into labor. :)
    pinkcicle709

Answer by pinkcicle709 at 10:55 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• NO! Do NOT shave before labor. What really happens is the shaving DOES knick you (the knicks might be microscopic, but they're there) and that is what causes the infections. If you're really worried about it, have DH/SO take a pair of scissors to it and trim it, but even that isn't neccessary.
    Aslen

Answer by Aslen at 10:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I don't see why it would be a bad idea to shave. I shave anyways, and during labor if you need an episiotomy or you tear, they might have to end up shaving it a little to be able to see where they need to cut/stitch. I just kind of felt like they had a better view of what was going on down there.
    Anonymous

• You are actually more likely to get an infection if you shave because of all the tiny little nicks in your skin that can become infected. It is no longer mandatory to shave before labour. It is nice to have a trim because it is easier to keep clean after labour but I wouldn't shave..just trim. But it's a personal thing, whatever makes you feel comfortable.
    tobys.mommy

Answer by tobys.mommy at 10:57 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Nah. Absolutely not necessary. They'll shave what they need shaved if it's a problem
    MommytoE522

Answer by MommytoE522 at 10:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• And the reason the procedure was stopped?

Oh, right... it's the old wives tales that get passed on, not the reasons they're refuted.

The reason the procedure was ended is because razors create small open wounds in the body's primary defense --the skin. Hospitals are filthy places. It's hard to get MRSA and Strep A and C. Difficile outside those buildings... hospitals are the primary source for all three, and other anti-biotic resistant pathogens. Best not to go in with nicks in your skin -- or let them put new ones in.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 10:58 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• In my day, that was just part of the prepping done by the labor nurses. I, like others, like to stay trimmed. But, at 9 months pregnant, I just couldn't see to do it. LOL. I felt bad. But, the nurse said that was just part of her job.
    specialwingz

Answer by specialwingz at 11:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• ok so im a little weird. both times i was pregnant i had dh shave my wooha. he did it 3 days before my first csection and the nite before the 2nd one. it was the only action he could have with me with our second from 4 months on. the nurses where pleased that they didnt have to do it
    knagsmom

Answer by knagsmom at 11:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• This is hilarious because I felt like I "had to" so that it wasn't yucky down there for the doctors or me afterwards...let alone my son. lol

I was super emotional about it because (I was enduced) my SO caught me crying the day before my son's birth and FINALLY got it out of me that I was "too fat" to even shave myself "there." He, after laughing, offered to do it for me. :)
    TitusMom7

Answer by TitusMom7 at 11:02 PM on Jan. 10, 2011