Hooters

I am a hooters girl, I am 21 years old with a 3 1/2 year old daughter. My ex has never had anythig to do with my dd and I have supported her by myself her whole life. We are going to court soon but I have been told that since he has not been around and she doesn't know him, I could get supervised visitation. He told me if I go for supervised visitation, he would bring up in court that I work at Hooters. Of course, they will already know this as I have to fill out the forms for child support and they need all my work info. But he said he is gonna make me look bad cause I work there. I am a full time college student, I have my AA degree and I am about 2 semesters away from my Bachelor's degree. I am going to be a high school English teacher (that does not mean this will be perfectly written lol). My job allows me to work to support my child, go to school and still spend time with her. I am able to work 2, 9 hour shifts and we do ok for money, it is also nice that it is mostly when she is sleeping so while I do miss sleep, I don't miss time with her. Do you think it will look bad that I work there? I mean, it's not like I'm a stripper or anything, really we are covered more then many girls our age you see out in public, but I know there is a stigma about "Hooters Girls". Oh and just so you know, I don't do the Hooter girl boxing or do the calenders or anything, I just work there. What are your opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:00 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Money & Work

• No it will not have any effect at ALL on the case that you work at Hooters. You are a waitress. You are not a prostitute! You have a job, you are supporting your child, you are being a GREAT mother from what it sounds like. And you just go right ahead and let him bash you in front of the judge for working at Hooters...actually ENCOURAGE the bashing! Judges look very poorly at a parent trying to slam the other in a custody case. So the judge will lean in your favor! Good luck!
    Ash9724

Answer by Ash9724 at 11:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• There is nothing wrong with bettering yourself, working hard, and being a good mom, which is exactly what you are doing.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 11:03 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• He is just trying to get under your skin. It sounds like you have your act together. I wouldn't worry about it.
    Soniam301

Answer by Soniam301 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I dont think it will look bad. Its better than having no job. I say the odds are definitely in your favor. Like you said its not like your a stipper, you're a waitress! Good luck!
    Brandi2206

Answer by Brandi2206 at 11:04 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Thats the best he can come up with? Let him bet you the judge laughs at him!!
    Charis76

Answer by Charis76 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• The judge will not look at where you work, as long as you have a job and are supporting you daughter. It sounds like you have been doin very well on your own since the time she was born. You are a single parent, goin to school, workin, and takin care of your daughter. The judge will look at that. He will look at everything you have done for her and how you are working to garuntee her a better future. Since her "dad" hasn't really been there for her as much as you, the judge will look more into what he has done for her and what he has to offer her that would be better than you. Honestly in most states judges always favor the Mom unless they are a drunk or drug addict. Good luck with everything
    jeslynn1818

Answer by jeslynn1818 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Let him use it in court and get back to us and let us know if the judge was able to stop himself from laughing his ass off at your ex. Seriously hooters is not a bad job it is a restaurant. People seem to think all these jobs will get held against them. Even if you where in calendars and doing the boxing it would not matter. Your job is legal and the only job that has been supporting your kid. Even if you where a stripper your ex would not have a leg to stand on. If the job is legal and paying the bills than you are doing what you have to do to support your kid which is more than what he is doing.

Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 11:15 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I don't see anything wrong with this. Even if you were a stripper at least you're supporting yourself and your child! Good for you! No worries.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 11:17 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Thanks everyone. I was honestly worried, I don't think there is anyting wrong with what I do but I know a lot of people do. I know that I make my money based of the fact that I have a nice butt and the guys like to look at it, that's ok with me. I got pregnant at 18 and once I started showing, I went on MAT leave (cause lets face it, no one wants to see a big pregnant belly under a hooter shirt lol) but once my dd was 2 months old, I had my figure back and went back to work. Except for that time, I have worked since I was 16. He also likes to point out that I live with my mom. I do so because I work night shift 2 nights a week so if I got my own place 1. I would have to go to 3 nights a week and 2. my dd would be going back and fourth from my to house to my mom's cause she is the one who baby sits while I work. It just works out better this way plus my mom really needs the extra rent money I pay her
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:26 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I used to eat at hooters a lot! I don't think there is anything wrong with your job! You girls work hard and deserve the tips you get! It is just a job. That is it. You are not going to be working there when you are 50! It isn't a career it is a stepping stone. I think the judge will have more sense than your EX!!! Besides he looks bad enough, he is just trying to freak you out. You know what? It worked, a little, but it did, or you wouldn't have asked the question! That is good though, because you seem to have gotten plenty of support from us!! Good Luck! Realx you are doing great!
    stephgood1

Answer by stephgood1 at 11:45 PM on Jan. 10, 2011