Tools for Eating

What tools/tricks to you use to get your toddler to eat?

My son is SUPER picky and doesn't like to sit still to eat. For Christmas, he got utinsils that were a fork with a tractor on the handle, a spoon with a tractor on the handle and a little bulldozer that is used to push the food onto the fork or spoon. He absolutely LOVES them.

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 11:22 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Put fresh, healthy food in front of them regularly throughout the day and let them decide how much, if any, of any of it they wanted to eat.

Relax and know that your child will not starve himself... but his appetite has diminished greatly because his growth rate has slowed (relatively) and he can quite literally 'hold out' for the 'good' stuff. So, it's up to you to make sure that all there is to choose from is 'food' not junk in your opinion.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• DS will eat almost anything he can dip. I'll put a dollop of Greek yogurt on his plate, and he will clear the plate! Sometimes he will eat certain things if I tell him they're special, like special salad or special broccoli. Good luck!!
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 11:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My 15 month old daughter likes autonomy. And power. And imitation. So, she likes holding a fork while she eats, even if she uses her other hand to get food into her mouth. Sometimes she likes me to load her fork or spoon for her then give her the utensil so she can stick it in her mouth herself. Sometimes she likes things cut small, sometimes she likes them whole. But mainly, anything Daddy does is instantly AWESOME, so sometimes I serve him a plate of whatever I want her to eat knowing that it will drive her crazy until she gets some. LOL!
    Airamana

Answer by Airamana at 11:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011