Greedy Kids

My son, who is about to turn 3, has now started to be obsessed with presents. He asks for them constantly and even tells me or his dad that we should go back to work so that we can get more money to buy him gifts.

I thought it was kind of funny at first, but how do you deal with this issue in a toddler?

TitusMom7

Asked by TitusMom7 at 11:24 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My dd gets like that around Decemember because she has her birthday then Christmas 11 days later. I explain to her that presents are for special times not just for whenever. Sometimes when it gets really bad, I have her go through her toys to find things she has outgrown to donate to a child who doesn't have many toys
    JLS2388

Answer by JLS2388 at 1:21 PM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Minimize the intensity of the conversation.

'Gee, there sure are a lot of things to want' is a good answer, especially if it's said in an off-handed way, as if you don't think very much of the subject, really.
    LindaClement

Answer by LindaClement at 11:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My daughter is almost 4 and asks everyday when it will be Chrismas again! I just keep telling her it's not about gifts blah blah blah I'm hoping someday it will click? I'm in the same boat.
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my daughter is turning five next month and acctually does this, i just simply explain to her that you have to be grateful for what you do get and not to be selfish ir greedy...have no idea if the talks are helping, but really what else can you do?
    mathenymom08

Answer by mathenymom08 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• yeah my son asks almost every time for a present from walmart when we go, thanks to my aunt (his mama). i tell him a lot he just wont get a gift every time we go. i don't think he's spoiled but he's far from want if you know what i mean. he never throws trantrums, that was just something he never really got into.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:29 PM on Jan. 10, 2011