Do you know anyone with a special needs child?

Are you friends with them, know them well or not, or are you afraid to approach them because you aren't sure what to say?

How do you think you would handle it if you found out your child was special needs?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:27 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Just for Fun

• Yes, I have a son with Down's Syndrome and I would replace him for the world. I admit that I was distraught at first, mainly because all my blood tests came back fine. But, I've learned a lot about myself in the process. I've learned how to be more patient, and find ways to help him with his communication. Sign language was great because if he couldn't say it, at least he could sign it. He will be twelve next month and his language is still getting better. He attends a public school in a special classroom with other students like himself. He's not up to grade level which is normal but he's getting better everyday. He's the sweetest child you would ever know, and I wouldn't trade him for the world! Don't let people let you think that it's a bad thing, it's not, it's about accepting people as they are.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:49 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• cont

We did have a taste of it with our child (and we did struggle for a long time with severe speech issues and behavioral issues with our ds, though thankfully, he's fine now - NOT saying it's the same, just that I have enough personal experience to know just how little experience I have, if that makes sense...)...

But - I think I would have the approach that my aunt did. My (much younger than me) cousin needed a transplant when he was 2. I was an adult and had a baby and we were talking about it once, and I said I didn't think I could deal with it. She responded with "yes, you would, because you wouldn't have a choice." That always stuck with me - with a lot more than child rearing, but in life.

If it was my child, I would grieve what I had thought was going to be their future, then accept what their condition was, and search for and embrace the good in their life.

hope this makes sense....
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:40 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• i think it takes a special kind of mother to parent a special needs child, i don't think i have that kind of courage or patience. i think i would probably give the baby up for adoption to people that know what they are doing. i do know a couple of people that have special needs kids and they seem to handle it well. i don't know them very well but because i don't know anyone very well, i am kind of in my own little bubble.
    angevil53

Answer by angevil53 at 11:32 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• my mom and my grandmother my sister has cri de chat syndrome and my moms foster brother has downs if you have any questions send me a message
    lillymom828

Answer by lillymom828 at 11:33 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It's going to depend on what you define as special needs to define how many people I know, how well, etc. I define special needs to include developmental (such as autism), physical (such cerebral palsy) or chronic or otherwise life altering illness (such as an organ transplant or a child with cancer)

I know several people who have children that fall (or have fallen into) those categories. Some I know casually, some I know very well, and some I'm related to. I don't treat them any differently (other than to accommodate the special needs), because they're still people - this is a PART of who they are (even a defining part of their life outlook), but it's not ALL that they are - for the kid or the parents.

If it was my child --

cont
    sailorwifenmom

Answer by sailorwifenmom at 11:36 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Sailorwifenmom...my sentiments go out to you...thanks so much for posting. You'd be a great friend:)
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 11:42 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• Everyone (including me and my family) thought for the longest time my DS1 was just a bad kid. Just a year ago, we were given a dx of PDD-NOS, which makes him "special needs". Did not change who he was, but opened up many doors on how to better prepare him for his future.
    MunchiesMom324

Answer by MunchiesMom324 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I have a special needs child. My son was diagnosed at 3 with classic autism. When he was diagnosed, I was so unsure of how to deal with his autism. I learned quickly that autism or any other disability is nothing to fear, and special needs kids and adults want the same thing as everyone else~ love, respect and acceptance!!
    Robsmommy

Answer by Robsmommy at 12:51 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I have a daughter. That was Diagnosed with DiGeorge syndrome. She is truly a blessing and teh strongest little Girl i have ever known, she went through major open heart surgery at just five montsh old weighing only 9 pounds. She is my fighter thats for sure, and a blessing from God. One day my mother told me God gives you children with special needs because he knows you will give them all teh love atrtention and patience they need and eserve and i completley agree, Alyanah is a blessing to us each and everyday, Shes healthy now and Digoerge has only affected her in teh heart defect, speech delay and a slight immune deficiency.. So far no leanring delays shes actually above average for her age. (She is now 2) Shes just such a blessing in my life.. Even though i asked my self why so many days crying and depressed, I know why now, and iam at peace, God placed her in my life for a reason, i wnated change a thing about her...
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• Cont:
    One day i woul really love to arrange an organization, to raise awerness and a type of support group for families who are dealing with the same thing. If theres anyone out there who has been through and or going through this feel free to message me if you need to talk. God Bless.
    Diandra.
    DiandraBryant07

Answer by DiandraBryant07 at 1:16 AM on Jan. 11, 2011