What is the best time to potty train a boy?

I have a 2 year old son and he has shown some interest in going potty. He has used it and been successful but doesn't do it consistently. He asks to go to the potty when we are out and when taken he doesn't do anything. Not sure if he is ready or not.

buffyg

Asked by buffyg at 11:37 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Good question!! I just got the potty out and feel the same way!!! I will be checking this to see what you get!!!!
    stephgood1

Answer by stephgood1 at 11:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• http://pediatrics.about.com/od/pottytraining/l/bl_potty_rdy.htm

http://www.parentsconnect.com/parenting-tips/potty-training-quiz.jhtml

If he passes the readiness quiz....tell him he is a big boy and going to start using the potty. Buy him loads of underwear. Take away the diapers completely. Start the morning by taking him every 15 minutes and have him try. Do this until he has no accidents and starts to tell you on his own. Then, move it to every 30 minutes. Repeat until he is running and going on his own. It should take anywhere from 3-5 days. If he is ready and you are consistent and have no distractions for those days.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:54 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• the best time is when your child shows interest in learning so if hes asking to use the potty and is doing it sometimes then get on it mommy. Get him a potty seat if you havnt yet let him go to the store and pick out some big boy underwear and decide how you will reward him when he does go. We are potty training our 21month old boy and hes doing awsome. I use only underwear at home and when he makes it to the potty on time he gets a stcker as he loves stickers. Im a believer in only using pull-ups at nap and bedtime and when your out and about running arrands. Also i think that for the first 2 to 3 weeks you should limit how often you go out of the house so you can stay home and make sure your getting him to the potty and they finally get consistet. good luck and be patient.
    Jaxsmommy09

Answer by Jaxsmommy09 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• when he's showing consistently that he's ready.
    my son was two back in November, and he is completely UNinterested in it right now, so we're not pushing it. I'd rather wait until he's ready, and it take a week...then try to push it when he's not ready and struggle with it for months..
    just my personal opinion.
    -mrs.mamma-

Answer by -mrs.mamma- at 5:59 PM on Jan. 11, 2011