What age does a girl get her period? adult content

I have a daughter that will be 11 in April and have been wondering about this. I also wonder what I need to get her to be ready for it. I do not remember when I started or what I used.

buffyg

Asked by buffyg at 11:38 PM on Jan. 10, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• for real?
    i was 13 when i got mine. i still use pads .. but i would show her pads to begin with either way until she can handle using a tampon because you can get toxic shock syndrome from leaving a tampon in for too long.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:41 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• It depends on the girl. I got mine at 14, my little sister got hers at 10.

It is a good idea to talk to her about it now. One idea on how to do it is to get her a book about puberty and let her read at her leisure for a couple of weeks. Then sit her down and talk to her about what she read.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 11:43 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I am not sure about how old i was but i was in the 6th grade? But I started mine at school, so make sure she is prepared and has pads on her, and talk to her about it :) just in case because i was not prepared at all, and was wearing white pants that day at school :( it was not fun!!!!
    ashcrash

Answer by ashcrash at 11:46 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• lol I tried talking to her about it and they have already told her about it at school. Everything I said she said "I know, mom" I have looked at the store but don't know if I should buy her panty liners or something bigger...? I have been told I started when I was 11, so that is why I have been curious lately.
    buffyg

Comment by buffyg (original poster) at 11:47 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I was 16. Some are 9. Get more than a pantyliner, but, not the thickest. LOL...a happy medium.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:49 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• I would just show her where the feminine sanitary items are and let her tell you when she gets it. It really depends on the person when they get theirs. I believe I was 13??
    Aquarius80

Answer by Aquarius80 at 11:50 PM on Jan. 10, 2011

• My mom always bought JUMBO pads and they ere horrible. Nothing like announcing your period to the whole school by wearing a couch cushion between your legs.

I would buy her an ultra thin pad. I like the Always brand. They are discreet and work well. I would buy them with wings. She probably will just need the regulars, but I would buy some supers too. I would not buy the long ones, she probably won't need them to be that long.

These are the ones I am talking about. I would probably buy her some wet toilet wipes too.

http://www.pinkapple.com/productphotos/always_ultrathin_regular_182.jpg

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:00 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• And I would get her some kind of small bag, that does not look like it has period supplies in it to keep in her locker. It should be able to fit a pair of underwear too.
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 12:01 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• SleepingBeautee took the words right out of my mouth about the little bag thing. I used a really cute makeup bag that had a couple of compartments for mine. I kept the undies hidden pretty well, and kept a pad and liner with me at all times. I started using tampons on my 3rd day of my first period, but I use pads and tampons now. I was 12 when I started, but some of my friends didn't start til they were 17. My favorite thin pads are the Kotex ones (but I like Kotex for pads and tampons for some reason). I used Always for a long time, but something changed and now I'm allergic to them. Those little wipe things are a lifesaver, too. Don't feel bad about her already knowing all of that stuff. I did, too, before my mom could say a word about it to me. I think it's a good thing that schools do those little class things on it, though, because there are girls out there who don't have someone to talk to about it.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 12:14 AM on Jan. 11, 2011

• I started at 11, I'll never forget it, the first day of sixth grade. Except my mom nor my sister ever talked about it and I didn't know a thing, I thought I was dying or something. I was so embarrassed. I made sure to inform my daughter before she had her first one, that's one thing I told myself I was going to do different as a mom.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:41 AM on Jan. 11, 2011